1. It is a book (do)about his experiences near Walden Pond in Massachussetts.
2. The book is full (pn) of inspiring quotations about his search for personal freedom.
Thank you!!! Can you help with a couple more? 1. In 1845 he left his home and went to the woods near Walden Pond. 2. He built a small cabin for himself and lived there for 2 years. 3. His life at Walden Pond was an experiment in quiet solitude. 3. For Thoreau, nature seemed a peaceful and instructive companion. 4. His daily journal about his life and thoughts became Walden. I've answered them but I'm not at all sure about the answers. Thanks again!!
1. In 1845 he left his home and went to the woods near Walden Pond.
This is the main part of the sentence - he left his home and went
1. Does it have an active verb or a linking verb?
2. Did 'He' do something to something else?
He built a small cabin for himself and lived there for 2 years.
He built cabin and lived
Look at this sentence and answer the same two questions....
Repost with your answers and we will be happy to give you further help if needed.
1. Yes, left is the active verb and what he did was leave his home.
2. Active verb is built and he did it to the cabin.
Anonymous is incorrect. In sentence 1, "book" is not a direct object. In sentence 2, "full" is not a predicate noun.
.It is a book about his experiences near Walden Pond in Massachussetts.
The word "book" is a predicate nominative. It and book are the same thing. 'Is " is a linking verb.
2. The book is full of inspiring quotations about his search for peronal freedom.
"full" is a predicate adjective. "book" is described by "full" and is LINKED by "is"
Direct objects never follow linking verbs - am, is are, was, were, be, being, been.
OK. So are these correct?? 1. Thoreau was a teacher (PN) in Concord Mass. 2. In 1845 he left his (IO) and went to the woods near Walden pond. 3. He built a small cabin (DO) for himself and lived there for 2 years. 4. His life at Walden pond was an experiment (PN) in quiet solitude. 5. For Thoreau nature seemed a peaceful (PA) and instructive companion. 6. His daily journal about his life and thoughts became Walden (DO).
1 is correct
2 is incomplete and not correct
3 is correct
4 is correct
5 is not correct
6 is correct
Rethink #s 2 and 5 and repost please.