Posted by Em on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 4:45pm.
Determine the maximum possible number of turning points for the graph of the function.
f(x) = 8x^3 - 3x^2 + -8x - 22
-I got 2
f(x) = x^7 + 3x^8
-I got 7
g(x) = - x + 2
I got 0
How do I graph f(x) = 4x - x^3 - x^5?
- Please check my Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 5:29pm
do you know calculus???
first I factored it to
f(x) = -x(x^4 + x^2 - 1)
treating the big bracket as a quadratic, I found x=0, x = ±1.11 and 2 complex roots.
finding the second derivative, setting that equal to zero and solving I got x=0 and x=5/2
so there are two points of inflection, namely at x=0 and at x=5/2
Lastly since the highest power term was negative and an odd exponent, the curve "drops" into the fourth quadrant
so your graph comes down from the second quadrant, crosses at -1.11, comes back up crossing at 0, then comes back down to cross at 1.11. It does a little S bend at x=5/2
You will have to use a different scale for your x and y axes.
- Please check my Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 5:30pm
BTW, your first two answers are correct
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra-please check my work - check my answers please. Use the Intermediate ...
- Functions - Determine the maximum possible number of turning points for the ...
- math pre calculus - find the following for the function f(x)=(x+5)^2(x-2)^2 a....
- precalculus - analyzethe graph of the function Find the x- and y-intercepts. (b...
- Math - Determine the maximum and minimum number of turning points for the ...
- precalculus - Determine the maximum and minimum number of turning points for the...
- Pre-Calculus - For the function f(x)=12x^3+4x^2-27x-9 describe the end behavior...
- pre calculus - find the following for the function f(x)=(x+3)^2(x-1)^2 a.) find ...
- College alg - Analyze the graph of the following function as follows: (a) Find ...
- Algebra - Could you please check my work. Determine whether the realtion is a ...