Posted by Lisa on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 4:26pm.
Can you help me with the following questions, I don't understand. thanks!
Write the equation of a polynomial function with the given characteristics. Use a leading coefficient of 1 or -1 and make the degree of the function as small as possible.
#1. Crosses the x-axis at -4, 0, and 1; lies above the x-axis between -4 and 0; lies below the x-axis between 0 and 1.
#2.Touches the x-axis at 0 and crosses the x-axis at 4; lies below the x-axis between 0 and 4
Writing equation of a polynomial function - Reiny, Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 5:11pm
x-intercepts of a function are solutions to the corresponding equation
since there are solutions of -4,0,and 1
the function must have been f(x) = (x+4)x-0)(x-1)
f(x) = x(x-1)(x+4) . You can expand it or leave it as is
if a graph "touches" the x-axis then there must have been a double root, such as (x-2)(x-2)
so this one clearly must have been
f(x) = (x-0)(x-0)(x-4)
In both cases we need a cubic for 3 roots. If the x^3 is positive, then the cubic "rises" into the first quadrant and "drops" into the third quadrant.
Since this was the case for both functions there would be a +1 understood in front of the factors,
had it been reversed, a -1 in front of the factors would have achieved this
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra help! - I don't understand my problems that I am suppose to do. please ...
- algebra - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! write equation of a polynomial function with the ...
- Math - 1. Identify the degree, leading term and leading coefficient of each ...
- Math - Determine whether the following statement makes sense or does not make ...
- Polynomial Function - Could you help me with the following problem, I don't ...
- Math - Write a polynomial function in standard form that has the given zeros and...
- poloynomial function - Write a polynomial function f of least degree that has ...
- algebra 2 - Write a polynomial function that has the zeros 2, -2, and -1 and has...
- Precalculus - I'm sorry I'm posting so many questions, I promise this is the ...
- algebra - A cubic polynomial function f(x) has leading coefficient -2 and ...