Posted by John on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 6:46am.
1. Pears are in season.
2. Pears are out of season.
3. Persimmons are in fashion.
4. Persimmons are out of fashion.
Are the expressions all grammatical? Can we use 'fashion' instead of 'seaon'?
- English composition - bobpursley, Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 7:05am
Fashion and season have differing connotations. Season implies something nature produced, fashion implies something humans produced.
Her coat is out of fashion, considering the style and decorations.
Her coat is out of season, considering the lack of cold the past two months.
Season has other meanings: It means to make fit, as in ...Season her by giving more responsiblity.
Fashion implies something time and culture changes, miniskirts are an example of my generation....Her skirts are fashionably below the knee. His buttoned down cuffs are the fashion. In due course, as they aged, they no longer held hands on walks, as it was out of fashion.
I would not use fashion in the above, unless you mean the persimmions are out of favor with human usage. That is possible: Kiwi fruit is currently in fashion with the wine and dine set, but out of season here in Texas.
- English composition - Writeacher, Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 8:09am
Bob Pursley is right.
You'd use "in season" with food, as you've done in sentences one and two.
The only reason you'd use "in fashion" in sentences three and four would be if you are using persimmons to decorate with -- perhaps in a table centerpiece.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- FRM 121 Fashion History II - How can I find Fashion Period Report Victorian and ...
- art - u c i really want to know everything about fashion becasue i'm workng on a...
- English - 1. Do-it-yourself fashion can be your solution. 2. Do-It-Yourself ...
- Math - Sorry guys but I cant seem to figure this out can you help me:) Billy has...
- Operations - You have a retail-clothing store for fashion items. For simplicity...
- English expression - 1. I like fully ripen persimmons. 2. I like well-grown ...
- Math - There are 28 pears on 4 trees. There are the same number of pears on each...
- fashion industry - what is the definition of "line release" in terms of fashion?
- Math - steve picks 55 pounds of pears. He packs equal amount of pears into 6 ...
- English - Can you please check these sentences? Thank you. 1)What factors can ...