Posted by maggie r on Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 2:49pm.
Hemophilia is a hereditary disease that prevents a persons blood from clotting correct;y. The gene responsible for blood clotting is located on the X chromosome of the sex chromosome pair (X and Y. This is called x-linked inheritance. The dominant gene is H and the recessive causing hemophilia is h. Anyone with the dominant gene will not inherit hemophilia. Mother (X^h, X^H) and father (X^H and Y) have children X^H X^H, H^H X^h, X^H Y, and X^h Y. What are the chances of a child having hemophilia. WHy?
science, biology - SraJMcGin, Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 3:06pm
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. This is an interesting question because I have one brother who is haemophiliac and two who are not.
Now, after you come to a conclusion, feel free to repost for "critique."
science, biology - maggie r, Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 3:14pm
I looked at the diagram on wikipedia and it shows the exact same diagram that I have except the one on wikipedia is clearer. SO there would be a 75% chance that their children do not have hemophilia. Thank-you
science, biology - grad2013, Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 9:56am
• So the mother is normal XX The father is color blind XiY (the i indicates that the gene is affected) To be color blind and hemophiliac a woman needs to have XiXi and a man needs XiY This is both the same for color blindness and hemophilia. A woman can also be XiX. This would mean she is a carrier of the affected gene but not affected by the disease. Their daughters will all be carriers because only the X chromosome of the man is affected. This drawing explains it:
Theire daughter with genotype XXi marries a man with genotype XY (the daughter is carrier for both color blindness and hemophilia) If they get children they'll end up according to the next drawing:
So the chance that their son will have both the diseases is 50%
1 out of 4
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Biology - A recessive sex-linked allele (h) located on the X chromosome ...
- science!! - A couple has just learned that their daughter has hemophilia. They ...
- biology /help - . The hemophilia gene is located 12 map units from the red-green...
- please help me - The hemophilia gene is located 12 map units from the red-green ...
- blood clotting - are blood clotting factors released from platelets, plasma, ...
- Science/Health - please check my answer thanks True or False You spleen helps in...
- science help plzzz - Multiple Choice 1. At the chromosomal level, what is the ...
- Science - I don't understand these problems can you help me. Multiple Choice 1. ...
- Biology - If agglutination occurs when blood with a certain antigen and blood ...
- Biology - Which chromosome is more exposed to sex-linked disorders X or Y ...