Posted by Chemistry on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 6:45pm.
If 142.38 g of l water at 21.7 degrees C is placed into a syrofoam cup with 174.36 g of ice at -27.5 degrees C what would be the final temperature of the entire contents at equilibrium? If it is partially frozen, how many g of the ice has melted?
cp water = 4.184 j/g degree c
cp ice = 2.114 j/g degree c
heat of fusion of ice is 335 J/g
so far, i have this:
= 10247 g to three sig figs = 10200 J
is that i calculate the energy required to raise the ice to 0 degrees C?
now i know that the next steps are to find the enrgy required to melt the ice and the energy reuired to cool the water down to 0 degrees C. how do i do those two calculations?
after that i did this to try and melt the ice
q = (mass l H20/molar mass H20)X(335 j/g) the 335 is the heat of fusion.
is that correct? if not, what am i supposed to do?
- Jake - DrBob222, Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 9:03pm
Your 10,247 J I get 10,136 J. Check my arithmetic. THEN, I would keep all the numbers and round at the end; otherwise, it may lead to rounding errors. I'll assume the 10,136 J is correct to move the ice from -27.5 to Oo C.
Then we need to calculate the energy required to cool the liquid water from 21.7 C to zero C. That is
142.38 x 4.184 x 21.7 = check me on this but I get about 13,000 J or so. You do the exact number.
So if you look at the numbers, we can move the ice to zero and move the lqiuid water to zero and have about 3,000 J left in the liquid water. That will melt some of the ice. How much?
q = mass x 335 J/g. Calculate the mass of ice that will melt.
I hope this helps. Check my thinking. Check my work.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CHEMISTRY - If 142.38 g of l water at 21.7 degrees C is placed into a syrofoam ...
- Chemistry - Energy: Phase Changes - An ice cube at 0 degrees Celsius is placed ...
- Chemistry. Please help!! - Calculate the final temperature when a 18.7 gram ...
- Physics - 1). A hot iron horseshoe (mass=.40kg), just forged, is dropped into 1....
- Chemistry - What is the final temperature after a 11.9 g piece of ice is placed ...
- Chemistry - What is the final temperature after a 21.8 g piece of ice is placed ...
- Chemistry - An ice cube at 0 degrees Celsius was dropped into 30.0g of water in ...
- Chemistry - An ice cube at 0 degrees Celsius was dropped into 30.0 g of water in...
- chemistry - Suppose you add a small ice cube to room temperature water in a ...
- Help me!, Physics - A 60g piece of ice at an intial temperature that is unknown...