Posted by Miche on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 2:19pm.
Vous prenez la rue de Vaugirard a(with the accent) gauche jusqu'au boulevard Saint-Germain.
Does it mean to take the road of Vaugirard and turn right on boulevard Saint-Germain or take the road Vaugirard which is on the right until you reach Saint-Germain?
- French - SraJMcGin, Monday, October 15, 2007 at 3:14pm
Salut, Miche! "à gauche" means to the LEFT.
right = à droit
left = à gauche
straight ahead = tout droit
- French - SraJMcGin, Monday, October 15, 2007 at 3:15pm
Good English word taken from the French:
Main Entry: gauche
Inflected Form(s): sometimes gauch·er sometimes gauch·est
Etymology: French, literally, left
1 a : lacking social experience or grace; also : not tactful : CRUDE <it would be gauche to mention the subject> b : crudely made or done <a gauche turn of phrase>
2 : not planar <gauche conformation of molecules>
synonym see AWKWARD
- gauche·ly adverb
- gauche·ness noun
- French - Miche, Monday, October 15, 2007 at 3:34pm
so it means to the left not turning left?
then how would you say turn left/right on some street?
- French - SraJMcGin, Monday, October 15, 2007 at 6:07pm
Since you already have "You take the street" the "à gauche" means "to the left."
If you want to say "turn left/right" first of all decide if you want the familiar (tu) or the formal (vous) and then = Tourne or Tournez à gauche/droit dans la rue.....
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- French - The Imperative - SraMcGin - Okay. I really need help understanding "The...
- physics - If a cyclist moving with a speed of 4.9 m/s on a level road can take a...
- Logic - From these premises... Ken is a killer and Sam is a saint. Ken is a ...
- religion - for religion we are doing a saint prject. We did Saint (our name) and...
- religion - why did saint juan diego become a saint?how?
- Saint Patrick's day - What is this word Saint gibsensls
- physics - an auto, moving too fast on a horizontal stretch of mountain road, ...
- Physics, HELP - AN auto, moving too fast on a horizontal stretch of mountain ...
- germain - What is the best order-of-magnitude estimate for 0.00003?
- Physics - In the Daytona 500 car race in Daytona, FL, a curve in the oval track ...