Posted by NaNa on Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 1:09am.
Use the definition of the derivative to find f'(x)
1. f(x) 2x^2 + x - 1
Before the final step, my 'result' looked weird and I think I did something wrong in my arithmetic...someone correct me?
Here's my work...
lim [2(x + deltaX)^2 - (x + deltaX) - (2x^2 + x - 1)] / deltaX
near the end step:
lim [4x + 2deltaX - 2x^2 - 1] / deltaX
Calculus - need help! - Quidditch, Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 1:41am
You started correctly, but you must have a math error in the intermediate steps.
((2(x+deltaX)^2 + (x+deltaX) - 1) - (2x^2 + x - 1) )/deltaX
=((2x2+4(x*deltaX) + 2deltaX^2 + x + deltaX - 1) - (2x^2 + x - 1) ) /deltaX
=(4(x*deltaX) + 2*deltaX^2 + deltaX)/deltaX
=4x + deltaX + 1
limit as delatX goes to 0
=4x + 1
Calculus - need help! - Quidditch, Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 2:05am
the step before the limit statement should have read:
4x + 2deltaX + 1
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - I need a step-by-step limit definition of derivative for y = ln(x).
- Derivative - I need to find the derivative of (x) / (x^2 +1) I got x^2 + 1(1) - ...
- College Calculus 1 - We have to find the first and second derivative of f(x)=x^(...
- calculus - I posted one before but this is another one of those problems that i ...
- Calculus - If x = t^2 + 1 and y = t^3, then d^2y/dx^2 = I know I can solve for t...
- Maths (Simultaneous equations) - You know f(x)= ax² + bx + c. Well when you get ...
- calc - derivative of (x^3/6)+(1/2x)? i got (x^2/2)-(1/2x^2) is that correct? and...
- Calculus (Help) - Also I would like to know how to set this problem up in ...
- Calc I - Find the range of y = (3x-1)/(2x^2 + x - 6) I was going to take the ...
- math - use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx and then d^2y/dx^2. y^2=ye^x^2...