Posted by Wilford on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 8:19pm.
1. A Passenger train's speed is 60mi/h and a freight train's speed is 40mi/h. The passenger train travels the same distance in 1.5 h less time than the freight train. How long does each train take to make the trip?
2. Lois rode her bike to visit a friend. She traveled at 10 mi/h. While she was there it began to rain. Her friend drove her home in a car traveling at 20 mi/h. Lois took 1.5 h longer to go to her friend's than to return home. How many hours did it take Lois to ride to her friend's house?
- Algebra I - DrBob222, Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 8:35pm
distance = rate x time
passenger train rate = 60 mi/hr
freight train rate = 40 mi/hr.
distance traveled by P = 60*t
distance traveled by F = 40*t
time for F is 1.5 hours longer than P so
F dist = 40(t+1.5) = P dist = 60*t
set distance = to each other
solve for t = time for passenger train.
Then t+1.5 = tiome for freight train.
- Algebra I - DrBob222, Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 8:39pm
#2 is done the same say as #1. Post your work if you get stuck.
- Algebra I - Dalia, Monday, November 10, 2008 at 10:10pm
- Algebra I - Riley, Monday, September 27, 2010 at 8:05pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - a passenger train's speed is 60mi/h, and a freight train's speed is ...
- algebra - A passenger train's speed is 60 mi/h, and a freight train's speed is ...
- MATH Algebra - The speed of a passenger train is 6 mph faster than the speed of ...
- algebra 1b - the speed of a passenger train is 18mph faster than the speed of a ...
- Algebra - Speed of passenger train is 6mph faster than the freight train. The ...
- algebra - the speed of a passenger train is 20mph faster than the speed of a ...
- math please help - The speed of a passenger train is 8 mph faster than the speed...
- physics - An engineer of a passenger train traveling at 25.0 m/s sights a ...
- Physics - the engineer of a passenger train traveling at 25.0 m/s sights a ...
- Math - A freight train travels 260 km in the same time a passenger train travels...