Posted by Robert on Monday, October 8, 2007 at 12:43am.
55. Find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of
f(x) =x^3 - 2x + 1
a) at (2,5);
b) at (-1,2);
c) at (0,1).
I believe the answers are:
a) y= (3/2 x) - (3/2)
b) No solution
c) No solution
For each function, find the points on the graph at which the tangent line is horizontal. If none exists, state that fact.
73. f(x) = (1/3)^x^3 + (1/2)^x^2 - 2
For the function, find the points on the graph at which the tangent line has slope 1.
79. y=(1/3)^x^3 + (2)^x^2 + 2x
- Calculus - drwls, Monday, October 8, 2007 at 2:28am
55. The slope any point of the line is the derivative,
df/dx = 3x^2 -2
When x = 2, f(x) = 5 and
df/dx = (3*4) - 2 = 10
The coordinates of (b) and (c) are also on the line, and there IS a slope there. Use the same df/dx formuyla to compute it.
I will be happy to provide assistance with you other three problems when work is shown. In #79, are you sure that x^3 is a power of 2 and x^2 is a power of 1/2? It looks to me like you used too many ^ signs.
- Calculus - Robert, Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 1:00am
67. dy/dx = 0
Would it be all the points of the function.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - The function g is defined for x>0 with g(1)=2, g'(x)=sin(x+1/x), ...
- HS Calculus - Definition of the derivative to calculate f'(x) if f(x) = square ...
- Math- calculus - Given f(x) = x ^ 3 - x ^ 2 -4x +4 Find the zeros of f. Write an...
- Calculus AB - Sorry but I've got a lot of problems that I don't understand. 1) ...
- Calculus - 1. Given the function f defined by f(x) = x^3-x^2-4X+4 a. Find the ...
- Calculus - Find the equation of the tangent line and the normal line to the ...
- Calculus - Functions? - #1. A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = ...
- cal - find the equation of a quadratic function whose graph is tangent at x=1 to...
- Calculus - Given the function y=(x^2-5/x+3), answer the following questions. a) ...
- Calculus AB - Could someone please help me with these tangent line problems? 1) ...