Posted by Jenny on Saturday, October 6, 2007 at 8:03am.
This problem concerns a student that is attempting Newton's 2nd Law, but the cart does not run without friction.
How do I calculate the drag force, givin the mass of the cart (7.6kg), the mass of the load (4.2kg), and the resulting acceleration (1.2m/s2)?
I'd appreciate the help.
- Physics - bobpursley, Saturday, October 6, 2007 at 9:28am
I am uncertain what is making the cart move? Is is gravity? If it is gravity, and going down a ramp, you can write the equation governing motion
so resolve the mg into two comonents, down the ramp, and normal to the ramp, and the solution follows.
I cant give more details without exact situation.
- Physics - Jenny, Saturday, October 6, 2007 at 11:02am
There is no ramp involved... its just a cart on a flat table, and then a puly, and a load. Would gravity be pulling the load down, which would make the cart move? I still don't get how I would calculate the 'drag' (friction and air resistance) force.
Here's my attempt at drawing it.
I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused and for some reason, physics doesn't click in my head.
- Physics - bobpursley, Saturday, October 6, 2007 at 12:05pm
The "load " is the moving force.
frictionforce= loadfriction - totalmass*acceleration
- Physics - Anonymous, Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 3:09pm
What is the me of a 6 kg mass at 4 m/a
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - I asked a question concerning this a while ago, but now it's a little ...
- please help physics!!!! - Two dynamics carts are placed end to end. Cart 1 (1.2 ...
- physics - A horizontal force of 200 N is applied to a 55 kg cart across a 10 m ...
- Physics - (10 points) 3. Use your data from Part 3 and Newton’s laws to explain...
- physics - A block of mass M1 = 0.320 kg is initially at rest on a cart of mass ...
- physics - You are in the supermarket, pushing a cart with a force of 79 Newtons ...
- physics - what impulse occurs when an average force of 10n is exerted on a cart ...
- physics - A cart on a horizontal, linear track has a fan attached to it. The ...
- physics - A cart with a mass is of 6 kg rolls across a level surface. The wheels...
- Physical Science - A donkey pulls a cart(c) with a mass of 240kg, attached to a ...