Posted by rebeca on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 1:16pm.
in his will,mr.adams left 25% of his estate to his wife and unevenly divided the rest of the balance between his son and daughter.if the son recieved $36,000 as his share,what was the total value of the estate?
- math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 1:25pm
Try this equation with x representing the total value of the estate:
.25x = x - 72,000
- math - rebeca, Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 1:34pm
igot 45000 for an answer would that be correct?
- math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 1:41pm
How can it be $45,000 when we know that the son and daughter got a total of $72,000?
Solve the equation.
If you need help solving equations, check this site.
- math - rebeca, Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 2:11pm
ihave just tried to solve the problem and i got 90000
- math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 2:42pm
Good. You're closer. :-)
.25x = x - 72,000
72,000 = x - .25x
72,000 = .75x
72,000/.75 = .75x/.75
96,000 = x
To prove this answer, we can substitute 96,000 for x.
Or we can apply it to the problem. Mrs. Adams received 25% of 96,000 or $24,000. Her children received a total of $72,000.
24,000 + 72,000 = 96,000
Answer this Question
- Algerbra - A manís will left $75,000 to his wife, son and daughter in such a way...
- college algebra - a man left 1\2 of his estate to his wife, 1\6 to his daughter...
- math - Mr. Benedict left half of his estate to his wife, one-fourth to his son, ...
- Math - A man left his property to his wife, his son, his daughter, and his ...
- MATH URGENT!!!!!!! - the will of an eccentric millionaire reads as follows: "i ...
- math - mr. murphy's will: john murphy was a man with a loving family, a ...
- Math - 1) Last year, Harjap spent a total of $11,348 on gasoline, oil, repairs ...
- Math - Mr. Pennypacker left half of his estate to his wife; $40,000 to his ...
- math - an estate valued at $62,000 is left by a will as follow:to each of two ...
- math - sam earned $4,000 from his business. he gave 1/5 of it to his son and ...