Posted by RSVP on Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 5:38pm.
I have 2 questions...one can someone please read my question posted around noon today called Lab for physics? Thanks..and secondly, I have to derive some equation. I am supposed to show a=gtantheta and find this from m (mass) L (length). The question also mentions the verical axis..nothing really helpful! Any ideas on how to do this derivation?
Physics - bobpursley, Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 5:47pm
see below, but be certain to read this.
Physics - bobpursley, Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 5:51pm
Consider the bob spinning: centripetal force is outward, and gravity is downward.
Then the string makes the angle theta with
tan theta= mg/m*a =g/a where a is centripetal acceleration (v^2/r)
If you measure the other angle, then tan theta is a/g, so it depends on which angle you are measuring. Normally, we measure the first, string angle from horizontal.
Physics - bobpursley, Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 7:23pm
centripetalforce= m*v^2/r where m is the mass of the spinning mass
gravity force holding it= mg where m is the washer weights
If r is constant, the two forces are equal, set them equal.
sometimes centripetal force is written as mw^2 r where w is angular velocity, but it is easily shown as above.
You measured period to go around, so
The rest is math, and critiquing error.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PLeASE Help - Can someone please take a look at my biology questions I have ...
- Physics Derivation URGENT!! - Can someone please show me how to derive this...I ...
- Physics - Hello, I am doing a physics experiment regarding rotational motion and...
- Physics, error derivation - I need to derive an error equation for Bohr's model ...
- Physics Lab - Hello, we are doing a lab dealing with diffraction gratings. The ...
- physics, error calculation repost - I need to derive an error equation for Bohr...
- une lab de physics - Hello, we are doing a lab dealing with diffraction gratings...
- Summer Reading - I didn't read my books because I didn't have English until ...
- Math HELP! - I posted a few questions and then went back and posted how I ...
- Physics Lab - Can someone please help me? I need some ideas, I am totally stuck...