Posted by Dee on Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 3:03pm.
Having trouble finding the simple predicates in the follwing sentences..
1.They have destroyed some buildings.
2.The insects bodies can turn wood into food.
3.The insects damage property.
4. These insects eat wood.
5. Most of the insects are workers or soldiers.
6. The mounds contain homes for the insects.
7. Some colonies have made mounds up to forty feet high.
8. Hundreds or even thousands of these insects live together in colonies.
- English/Grammar - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 3:12pm
The simple predicate is always the verb or verbs. Helping verbs are included in the simple predicate, too.
Some of our most common verbs are am, is, are, was, were, have, had, has, can, could, might, may.
Other verbs show action like make, live, run, fly, drink, type, study, think.
The simple predicate in your first sentence is have destroyed. The main verb is destroyed and its helping verb is have.
If you post what you think are the simple predicates in the rest of the sentences, we'll be glad to check them for you.
- English/Grammar - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 3:23pm
You're very welcome!
Six of your answers are correct! Congratulations! :-)
For number 2, can turn is the verb, but "wood" is a noun and not part of the simple predicate.
The simple predicate in number 5 is are, but "workers" is a noun and not part of the simple predicate.
- English/Grammar - Anonymous, Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 5:51pm
- English/Grammar - Writeacher, Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 7:00pm
- English/Grammar - Dee, Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 6:37pm
- English/Grammar - jasmine, Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 6:27pm
- English/Grammar - jania, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 6:59pm
i kinda need help in english my friend tould me about this website i hope it helps.....can u help me
- English/Grammar - Anonymous, Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 9:44pm
Can You Help Me With This Sentence? Most Of The Insects Are Workers Or Soldiers.
- English/Grammar - Anonymous, Thursday, September 1, 2011 at 5:38pm
- English/Grammar - im not telling my name, Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 9:27pm
I have a question. what is the answer below where is says '' these insects are ... ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- grammar - what is the simple predicate in The insects bodies can turn wood into ...
- grammar - What would be the simple predicate? The insects' bodies can turn wood ...
- Algebra 1 - Entomology is the scientific study of insects. Patty, Ronny and ...
- MATH - A population of insects increases at a rate of 250 + 16t +0.3t^2 insects ...
- science - 4. Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is a bacterium that contains a gene ...
- english - predicate of...the insects damage property
- Science - Over millions of years of time, an island's vegetation shifts. The ...
- unscramble grammar - I need help descrambling 2 sentences: 1 - insects plant eat...
- math - 2/6 of the insects were centipedes. 1/2 were millipedes, 12 were flies. ...
- maths literacy - Supposing that there are currently 950 insects in a park,how ...