Posted by Audrey on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 1:39pm.
1. Characterize the Wife of Bath's " philosophy" of marriage. Is this philosophy logical from her point of view? How?
2. What elements of the Wife of Bath's tale characterize it as a romance?
I don't understand what #1. is asking me so I have no idea how to respond. I also don't understand how this is a romance I didn't get that when I read the story. Could someone help? Thanks so much!
- Wife of Bath's - Writeacher, Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 2:06pm
First of all, you must understand what the story is telling you. Here are some websites that may help:
Scroll down for the "interlinear" translation -- that is, modern-day English between the lines of Chaucer's English.
Scroll down to the sections on the Wife of Bath, both in the prologue and her tale.
Once you understand the story, let us know if you still don't know how to answer the questions.
- Wife of Bath's - GuruBlue, Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 2:10pm
Here is the literary definition of "romance". You will see that the Wife of Bath's tale definitely fits.
The following sites will help you with her philosophy. Be sure to read the preamble to the tale.
- Wife of Bath's - GuruBlue, Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 2:11pm
Definiton of Romance
2. A mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful: "These fine old guns often have a romance clinging to them" Richard Jeffries.
a. A long medieval narrative in prose or verse that tells of the adventures and heroic exploits of chivalric heroes: an Arthurian romance.
b. A long fictitious tale of heroes and extraordinary or mysterious events, usually set in a distant time or place.
c. The class of literature constituted by such tales.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 12th grade - i have to write my essay about "the wife of Bath's tale" and first ...
- English (The Wife of Bath) - What do you think of the Wife of Bath's opinion ...
- Literature - What are some similarities between the Wife of Bath's Tale and The ...
- English - What is the moral of “The Wife of Bath's Tale”? A. Men should never ...
- Prisms - A swimmin bath has verticle sides and the floor slopes uniformly so ...
- Math<Please Help> - A swimmin bath has verticle sides and the floor slopes...
- english - The best example of a Romance Hero is: a. Beowulf b. Gilgamesh c. The ...
- English - Writeacher, I urgently need to rephrase (in modern English) Chaucer's ...
- English-Canterbury Tales - I have to write a compare and contrast essay of 300 ...
- English - Hello. Please check the structures: He and his wife didn't have bank ...