Posted by Jake on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 4:35pm.
Posted by Jake on Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 1:08pm.
My objective is to find the molar volume of a gas.
Is this the correct balanced equation for magnesium ribbon reacting with hydrochloric acid to form hydrogen gas?
2Mg (s) + 2HCL (l) ----> H2 (g) + 2MgCl (aq)
Also, I'm required to find the mass of the magnesium ribbon in grams and the moles of the hydrogen gas collected.
Is it correct to multiply the mass per meter (1.702 g/m) by the m of ribbon in order to get the mass?
then once i have the grams do i change it to moles of Mg? how do i get moles of h2? use the mole ratio of the equation?
For Further Reading
AP Chemistry - bobpursley, Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 1:42pm
No. Correct the formula for MgCl2 and then rebalance.
Yes, mass is m/l * length
Yes, then change that mass to moles. You get moles of H2 from the balanced equation coefficents and the moles of Mg.
I will be happy to critique your thinking.
AP Chemistry - Jake, Monday, September 24, 2007 at 6:08pm
This is what I did, could you tell me if its correct?
given value 1.072 g/meter
1.072 g/m X .02 m [the magnesium ribbon was 2.0 cm] = 0.02144 gMg
Then to find the moles of H2:
0.02144 g mg ( 1 mol Mg/24.31 g Mg) (2 mol H2/1 mol Mg) = 1.76 X 10^ -3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- AP Chemistry - My objective is to find the molar mass of a gas. Is this the ...
- Chemistry - A 0.0677g sample of magnesium metal reacted with excess hydrochloric...
- Chemistry - Magnesium metal reacts with hydrochloric acid to form magnesium ...
- chemistry - Zinc combines with hydrochloric acid to form aqueous zinc chloride ...
- Chemistry - A.) Write a balanced chemical Eq'n for a reaction between MAGNESIUM...
- chemistry - A 0.0677 g sample of magnesium metal reacted with excess ...
- chemistry - After writing a balanced equation for the reaction between magnesium...
- chemistry - if I have the reaction Magnesium + Hydrochloric Acid -> Magnesium...
- science help - Hydrogen gas(H2) and chlorine gas(CL2) react to form hydrochloric...
- chemistry - When hydrochloric acid reacts with magnesium metal, hydrogen gas and...