Posted by Mischa on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 5:16pm.
I am not sure about the ordering of the words. Are the following correct?
Do you speak French?
Vous parlez francaise?
I speak a little French.
Je parle francais comme ci comme ca.
My mom speaks french too.
Ma mere parle francais aussi.
French - Jack, Monday, September 24, 2007 at 5:25pm
The first should be "Parlez-vous francais?"; the other two seem correct from my knowledge of Romance languages, but I don't speak much French and you should wait for someone who does to clarify.
French - SraJMcGin, Monday, September 24, 2007 at 6:09pm
Salut, Miche! Check the review on Interrogative or how to ask a question. Jack is correct in using inversion: Parlez-vous français? Remember the difference between "française = French female" and "français" the language.
In the 2nd one you actually said "I speak French so so." To come closer to the English, you could say "Je parle français un peu."
In the 3rd, often the adverb follows the verb. Thus, you could say "Ma mére parle aussi français" but yours is just as correct. Even "Ma mère aussi parle français." I like your sentence fine!
French - Mischa, Monday, September 24, 2007 at 6:22pm
So actually the order of the words doesn't really matter in French?
French - SraJMcGin, Monday, September 24, 2007 at 6:50pm
Well, that would depend upon just how exact you wish to be! Of course, the ultimate authority is the Academie Française.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- french - Is this correct meaning I speak a little french. Je parle francais ...
- French - I know that for a male to say that he is french, we use francais, and ...
- FRENCH - Bonjour! Pourriez-vous me dire, s'il vous plait, comment on dit le ...
- French-SraJMcGin - Did I translate these two sentences correctly? (please ...
- SHANNON - Suppose a math class contains 31 students, 14 females (four of whom ...
- maths - in a group of 60 children 31 speak French 23 speak Spanish 14 neither ...
- Probability - Suppose a math class contains 46 students, 22 females (six of whom...
- French - I have to write a conversation in French between me and a friend in ...
- MATHS - In a class, 120 students speak English or French or both. 70 speak ...
- French Expressions - Does anybody know what the following French expression ...