Posted by SraJMcGin on Saturday, September 22, 2007 at 6:11pm.
CONTRACTIIONS WITH THE DEFINITE ARTICLE &
POSSESSION WITH "DE"
The prepositons "a" and "de" contract with "le" and "les."
a + le = au au cousin (to the cousin)
a + les = aux aux dames (to the ladies)
de + les = du du livre (of/from the book)
de + les = des des frères (of/from (some) brothers
NOTE: There are no contractions with "la" and "l'"
à la mère (to the mother)
de la maison (of/from the house)
à l'élève (to the pupil)
de l'école (of/from the school)
Possession in French is expressed by the preposition "de" where English uses "'s" or "s'"
les cravates DE Jean (John's ties)
le chapeau DE la femme (the woman's hat)
le bureau DU professeur (the teacher's desk)
les livres DES garçons (the boys' books)
P.S. I love the word "l'élève" because it has all 3 French e's, each with a different sound. é = a (like first letter of English alphabet) / è = eh (as if someone poked you in the stomach) / e = uh. I hope that one is in the French audio dictionary!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- French - Does anybody speak French?Because I need help in it? post your question...
- French - Please check these: I don't know how to do some of the accents sorry:( ...
- French for Mischa - One more try! PLURAL OF NOUNS Most French nouns, like most ...
- French for Mischa - PLURAL OF NOUNS (that refused to post before!) Most French ...
- French for Mischa - This is what would not post: PLURAL OF NOUNS Most French ...
- French - Are these sentences correct? 1. Je veux des vêtements en lin. Les or ...
- French for Mischa - DEFINITE & INDEFINITE ARTICLES: The definite article "THE" ...
- French - Bonjour! Are the following examples les adjectifs de nationalite? 1. en...
- francais - Please can you check my work so far. we have to fill in the gaps. my ...
- French - Could you please check these thanks. Directions complete each sentence ...