Posted by Mia on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 8:06pm.
Hi. One of my science vocab words is paradigm. The definition is a model that provides a framework for interpreting observations. Okay, so I have that definition memorized, but the book doesn't provide any specific examples of paradigms, so I don't REALLY know what it means. Could someone please help? Thanks.
- science - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 8:18pm
Paradigm is a difficult word to understand. Here are a couple of sentences that use "paradigm."
Google is a paradigm of a search engine company.
Ms. Orange, a paradigm of a great teacher, inspired her students to excell in math.
- science - Mia, Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 8:46pm
Is it the same thing as a paragon?
Can you use paradigm in the science-related context?
- science - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 8:52pm
Paragon and pardigm have similar meanings and in some contexts may be used interchangeably.
Dictionary.com uses this sentence in a scientific contest as an example.
"Since the 1960s, paradigm has been used in science to refer to a theoretical framework, as when Nobel Laureate David Baltimore cited the work of two colleagues that 'really established a new paradigm for our understanding of the causation of cancer.'"
- science - Mia, Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 9:44pm
Gah!! But I need some sort of substantial example. All of the definitions you are giving me seem too abstract.
- science - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 9:50pm
That's because paradigm is an abstract word. All of the examples will be abstract.
- science - Mia, Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 10:28pm
Well, what is a synonym for paradigm?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- crt - To introduce an unusual or unfamiliar word, to coin new words, or to ...
- Social Studies 8R - help!!!!!! - I need the definition for the following words: ...
- English - 1. What type of definition is used to introduce an unusual or ...
- English - We are doing this group project where we have to teach the class our ...
- science - i need to find 26 science words and there definition
- Physical Science - There are two more terms I need: "displacement" and "derived ...
- Math Vocab - I am doing vocabulary for math and one of the words are negative ...
- LANG - Determine whether the definition below is a direct definition or an ...
- critical thinking - A paradigm shift brings a fresh way of looking at the world...
- definition for science - the definition for longitude(meridians) The easiest ...