Posted by Student A on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 6:10pm.
So for example for this poem:
Harlem by Langstone Hughes:
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
and then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load
Or does it just explode?
My question is how do poets utilize leterary devices and conventions to develop themes in their poetry? I am still having difficulty I am using this poem as an example so i can understand how to do the poem that I have to do. Which is longer than this one.
- Literature - Writeacher, Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 6:25pm
Hughes is using vivid verbs (imagery) and making comparisons (in this case he's using similes) to make sure his ideas are clear and his theme understood.
Can you list the verbs he uses? Do you sense that he put them in any kind of order?
Can you name the comparisons he makes?
Think of a theme as a kind of hidden message. What do you think Hughes' hidden message is in this poem?
Here's a really good website to use when you want to understand literary terms: http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/lausd/resources/Literary.Terms.Menu.html
- Literature - Student A, Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 6:31pm
so, for literary devices each first stanza uses simile the second stanza also uses simile and the last stanza uses metaphor.
the poem uses rime and imagery.
- Literature - Writeacher, Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 6:34pm
Yes, there are five similes and a metaphor in that poem.
And, yes, you're right -- he also uses rhyme.
What else do you see?
- Literature - Writeacher, Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 7:11pm
List the verbs in order. What do you "get" from that list?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- poetry - "A Dream Deferred" What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up ...
- English - “Harlem” What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like a ...
- English - Do you mean Raisin in the Sun? (no "dry" in it) b cuz that's what I'm ...
- Langston Hughes Dream Deferred - Hello! My assignment: Analyze the poetic ...
- English - In the poem "Dream Deferred" by Langston Hughes, what does the term "...
- AP English Lit - Hi, I was wondering what kind of poem "Dream Variations" by ...
- English - Can someone please read over my essay and take note of any errors or ...
- English - What images does Langston Hughes use in his poem “Harlem II”? a. ...
- english - Which of the following did NOT contribute to the Harlem Renaissance? A...
- English - Which of the following did NOT contribute to the Harlem Renaissance? A...