Posted by Mia on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 10:04pm.
Diamond makes many arguments in “The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race” that are not reasonable or well supported.
Does well supported have a hyphen in it or not? Thanks!
grammar - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 10:07pm
Yes. Well-supported needs a hyphen because it's used as an adjective.
grammar - Mia, Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 10:16pm
But isn't well an adverb? Isn't well answering how it is supported? Well.
grammar - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 10:23pm
Well is an adverb modifying the adjective supported.
However, my first advice is wrong. I'm sorry. In this sentence well supported does not need a hyphen.
A word such as well supported only needs a hyphen when it comes before the noun. A hyphen isn't needed when the adjective comes after the noun it modifies.
Check this site for more information.
grammar - Mia, Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 10:39pm
Are you sure though because it is possible for adjectives to go after the noun.
There was a blue sky. (blue as an adjective is before sky as a noun)
The sky is blue. (blue adjective is after sky noun)
grammar - Writeacher, Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 10:53pm
Ms. Sue is correct. The word "well" in this sentence is an adverb modifying the adjective (participle, actually) "supported" -- no hyphen is needed.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- world history - i don't know the tesis of this article of " the worst mistake in...
- communication - In general, thesis or central idea is supported by claims; ...
- HISTORY HELP :( - MANY PEOPLE SUPPORTED COMMUNIST OR FASCIST GOVERNMENTS IN THE ...
- Statistics - A researcher surveyed college students to study their opinion about...
- MATH315 Elementry Statistics - A researcher surveyed college students to study ...
- Grammar PLease Check MY answers! - Is there a mistake with the superlative ...
- woburn - We consider a man of mass m = 77 kg as shown in the figure below using ...
- Physics - We consider a man of mass m = 84 kg as shown in the figure below using...
- American History - What caused President Richard Nixon to act on environmental ...
- History - The ideas described in Group B would most likely be the beliefs of ...