Posted by Lisa on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 4:23pm.
Citydog Screen Printers received two orders for a t-shirt designed for a math symposium. The first order was for 40 shirts at a total cost of $295 and the second order was for an additional 80 shirts at a total cost of $565. Each order included a shipping and handling charge.
Then we have to writer a linear equation, for which I got: y-27/4x+25. We also had to find the cost per t-shirt, for which I got: $31.75. The last part I don't understand, however: fidn the shipping and handling charge.
If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
The second word problem is:
It costs Consolidated Cereals Corporation $1050 to produce 100 boxes of corn flakes and $1250 to produce 500 boxes. I found the cost function: c(x)=1/2x+1000 but don't know how to determine the fixed cost and the variable cost per box (mainly because I have no idea what those are.)
Once again, thanks in advance.
- Math Word Problems - bobpursley, Friday, September 14, 2007 at 6:52pm
I dont agree with your solution to the first question.
Cost= m x+b
x is the cost per shirt, b is the handling charge
subtract the first equation from the second:
370=40x solve for m, the cost of each shirt. Then solve for b, put all that into y= mx+b
One the second question,
Cost= variable cost * n + Fixedcosts or
subtract the second equation from the first
200=400v solve for v, and it is 1/2 dollar. Solve for f, the fixed cost, and it looks as if it is 1000 dollars.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - When the Senior class decided to order T-shirts, they were quoted a price...
- 8th grade math - Albert has a home screen printing business. He has designed a ...
- physics - Light from a 550 nm source goes through two slits 0.040 mm apart, a ...
- math - The Math-Is-Fun T-shirt Company manufactures and sells screen-printed t-...
- math - For a fundrasier, the Best Buddies club sold t-shirts. The adult shirts ...
- word problems - how do you solve these using polynomial equations??? the ...
- chemistry - Determine the overall orders of the reactions to which the following...
- Math - A company charges $6 to make a pattern for an order of T-Shirts and $11 ...
- Math - Your computer-supply store sells two types of inkjet printers. The first...
- Physics help I am stuck - Monochromatic light strikes a diffraction grating at ...