Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:01pm.
I'm in grade 12 and this year is really important. I want to do well in English and it's not my forte. So, if you could please help me to choose which book I should read for my essay (which is a research and analytical). I want a book that I can understand well, I've had people tell me my English is in a grade 6 level. Also, I want a book that I can find a lot of secondary source references.
Madame Bovary - Flaubert
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
Wuthering Heights - Bronte
A Farewell to Arms - Hemingway
Cry the Beloved Country - Paton
The Joy Luck Club - Tan
The Nature of Man:
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Wilde
Great Expectations - Dickens
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Kesey
A Handmaid's Tale - Atwood
Depiction of Women:
The Color Purple - Walker
The Scarlet Letter - Hawthorne
Gulliver's Travels - Swift
A Separate Peace - Knowles
Man's Use of Science:
Flowers for Algemon - Keyes
Catch 22 - Heller
The Red Badge of Courage - Crane
All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque
Other books not listed:
The Catcher in the Rye
Tender is the Night
This Side of Paradise
- Help me choose a book? - GuruBlue, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:07pm
My seniors (average class) enjoyed the following.
Flowers for Algernon
A Separate Peace
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Cry the Beloved Country
The Color Purple.
These are also relatively easy to read, and have good conflict in them to keep your interest.
- Help me choose a book? - bobpursley, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:27pm
You need to read all those books this year. The mark of an educated person is to be well read, and those are worth reading. Make it a promise to yourself and get it done.
By the way, one learns to read by reading. One improves one's reading by reading.
- Help me choose a book? - Anonymous, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:36pm
I don't like reading, I only need to read one book and I'm simply asking for help which book is not that challenging and which book I can find third party sources.
- Help me choose a book? - Amanda, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:59pm
I don't know if you can find third party sources but One flew over the cuckoo's nest is a very enjoyable story, and they made a movie of it.
- Help me choose a book? - bobpursley, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 1:06pm
I recommend Animal Farm.
- Help me choose a book? - kavita, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 1:25pm
A Separate Peace - Knowles
- Help me choose a book? - GuruBlue, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 1:29pm
I agree with both bobpursley and kavita.... I would add one other, Flowers for Algernon. Any one of those three would fit your needs nicely.
- Help me choose a book? - Anonymous, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 1:42pm
So many to choose from, at least that narrows down my list! Now, off I go search each of those books recommended to see if I like it and if I can find a lot of criticism essays
thank you everyone for helping me
- Help me choose a book? - GuruBlue, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 2:09pm
Go to www.spark notes.com.... they will have analysis of the books.
www.amazon.com will have book reviews on those books.
- Help me choose a book? - Writeacher, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 7:01pm
After you have decided on what you'll read (or maybe before), here is a good place to start looking for literary criticism:
They don't have links to articles on every author or book that ever was, but they do have a large number. It's a good place to check first. I usually search by author's last name rather than by title or time period.
- Help me choose a book? - anna, Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 10:07am
high school comprtence test
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - Choose the sentence that is written in active voice. A. The book will ...
- english - i'm required to write a 7 paragraph, 5 minute speech for my 8th grade ...
- Social-important! - Hi I have a quiz on "The Black Death" By John Aberth, on ...
- 10th grade english - Please help me. I just finished the Road by Cormac McCarthy...
- book help - i have to write a book and i am in 9th grade and it has to be able ...
- business - The interviewer wants to know why you got a D in all your English ...
- 6th Grade Science - Hi, I really need help and I'm really confused I don't know ...
- english - I don't understand the book I'm reading. Its called Goodnight Mr Tom. ...
- Plan Book - I'm making My Future College Binder. Here are the sections below...
- Business Communications - The interviewer wants to know why you got a "D" in all...