Posted by manny on Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 11:52am.
I am doing an essay for my english class that deals with American values.
The questions to consider:
What does America value? How do you know?
In class we dicussed the following:
The US was set up by the people themselves, thus they are to be given the utmost respect. Also man must make a place for himself in the world--defining his own life not imitating the life of another.
"the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power..." --- 'Declaration of Independence'
"envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion..." -- 'Self reliance'--> R.W. Emerson
Rights can never be taken away from you.
"unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness..."--'Declaration of Independence'
The Government functoions to help the people deriving its powers from the ones being governed.
"it must have the sanction and consent of the governed." -- 'Resistance to Civil Government'---> HD Thoreau
"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consen of the Governed... it is the right of the peopleto alter or to abolish it [if they so desire]"--- 'Decleration of Independence'
Do you guys have any more things to add? Any suggestions? If I post my essay here later, can you guys look through it?
Thanks a lot,
- AP English - GuruBlue, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:01pm
A suggestion - what about "have American values changed since the Constitution was written." What do we value today? Are these contraditory to what was valued at the inception of our country? To me, that brings all sorts of interesting possibilities.
AND - YES! by all means we will be happy to proof your essay and make suggestions if needed.
- AP English - manny, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:04pm
My teacher also mentioned this question in class!
- AP English - PsyDAG, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 1:49pm
This article might also be helpful:
I hope this helps a little more. Thanks for asking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. What class are you in? I'm in the second class. I'm class 2. 2. ...
- English - 1) Four American 17-year-old students will be in class with us ...
- English - Presentation - I'm presenting an assignment for 20 to 30 minutes worth...
- English - 1. I don't know anyone in my class. 2. In my class, I don't know ...
- English - Which class are you in? I'm in class 2. What class are you in? I'm in ...
- English - There are 7 classes for first year students. Each class is composed of...
- English - He has stopped taking boxing lessons and goes to the ballet class. (In...
- English - hey, I am trying to write an essay for my university english class but...
- English - Homework Help: English Posted by rfvv on Monday, March 7, 2016 at 2:...
- English - 1. He became the captain of the class. 2. He became the president of ...