Posted by Mandi on Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:17am.
Is the following sentence written in the Active Voice.
My answer yes, is this correct?
Accidents are witnessed every day.
- Language Arts ...Writing - Jack, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 1:13am
No, that's the passive voice.
In the active voice, the subject of the verb performs an action; e.g., "He killed the President".
In the passive voice, the subject of the verb receives the action; e.g., "The President was killed".
Or, "Accidents are witnessed every day".
An easy way to differentiate is to remember that if the sentence does not explicitly state /who/ performed the described action, it is probably in the passive voice.
- Language Arts ...Writing - SraJMcGin, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 10:21am
Here is one of the many websites explaining the difference between active and passive voice. Study the examples to clarify the difference.
- Language Arts ...Writing - Writeacher, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 10:29am
I think that is what SraJMcGin intended to post.
- Language Arts ...Writing - manny, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 11:56am
People witness accidents everyday.
- Language Arts ...Writing - GuruBlue, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 12:20pm
This is an easy way to think of the difference between Active Voice and Passive Voice.
Active - the subject does something(is active). The Action moves from Subject ->Verb
or Subject ->Verb->Direct Object.
Passive - That subject is LAZY... It is just having something done to it.
Subject <-Verb *** plus there is a "being" verb as an auxiliary...
The boy <- IS HIT by the ball.
Has BEEN hit
So... two clues - is there a being verb as an auxiliary, and is the subject ACTIVE or just sitting there . <G>
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English/Writing - Which one of the following sentences is written in the active ...
- Language Arts... Writing - Hello, Is the following sentence written in the ...
- Writing - Hello, Of the following sentence's which is written in the Active ...
- Language Arts...Writing - Hello, I need some help with the following question. ...
- Grammar - For each sentence write whether the sentence is in the active or ...
- language arts - Which sentence is written in the active voice? A) My granmother ...
- English - Which sentence is in the active voice? The girl jumped on the ...
- Description - Which of the following sentences are considered as a description ...
- English - 1. He wrote me a letter. 2. I was written a letter by him. 3. A letter...
- language arts - Is this sentence is written in the passive voice? A parade was ...