Posted by Lena on Saturday, September 8, 2007 at 11:57pm.
Rubidium has 2 common isotopes, Rb 85 and Rb 87. If the abudance of Rb 85 is 70 percent and the abundance of Rb 87 is 30 percent, what is the average atmoic mass of rubidium?
For the above question, does this mean I would multiple 85 by .70, 87 by .30, and average those two answers? Thank you!
Calculating Average Atomic Mass - drwls, Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 5:48am
Yes; however the answer you get will not be exact since the atomic masses of isotopes 85 and 87 are not exactly 85 and 87. There are small differences due to binding energy (Relativity effects).
Calculating Average Atomic Mass - sul, Monday, September 24, 2007 at 12:32pm
Calculating Average Atomic Mass - RiOtKiDd, Friday, October 3, 2008 at 9:43am
Well i thought to calculate the average atomic mass, you would have to turn the percentages into a decimal and multiply 85 by .70 and 87 by .30 and add them together, there is no need to divide.
Calculating Average Atomicc Mass - Anonymous, Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 5:11pm
Calculating Average Atomicc Mass - asiya, Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 5:17pm
the terms"average atomic mass is............ Average,and
so is calculate different from a "normal" Average?
Calculating Average Atomic Mass - Tyler, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:00pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - This is a lengthy problem, but I really don't understand it. Any ...
- Chemistry (percent abundance) *emergency* - If the average atomic mass of Br is ...
- Chemistry - This Chem problem is really difficult -Need help please! Magnesium ...
- Chemistry - Four isotopes of Lead occur naturally: 204Pb (mass = 203.973037 amu...
- physical science 8th grade - Copper has 2 known isotopes: ^63CU atomic mass= 62....
- chemistry - Copper used in electric wires comes in two flavors (isotopes): 63Cu ...
- Chemistry - An element consists of two isotopes of mass 36.4681 and 43.59612 amu...
- chemistry help - Chlorine has two Isotopes with mass number of 35&37.if the ...
- Chem - A newly discovered element, Mysternium (Atomic symbol My) has two ...
- Science - Natural rubidium has an average mass of 85.4678 amu and is composed of...