Posted by Raven on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 at 9:03pm.
Is this an example of sequential billingualism or simultaneous billingualism? (I'm thinking it's an example of sequential billingualism.)
Adrienne is four years old. Her mother is French,and her father is American.
They both have spoken their native language to Adrienne since birth,and
now she speaks both.
- Cultural Diversity - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 5, 2007 at 9:30pm
Please rethink your answer.
Sequential bilingualism is when a person learns a second language later than s/he learns the first language. My friend, Hee-Jin, learned only Korean when she and her parents lived in Korea. But when they moved to the U.S. when she was 10, she began learning English. She is now thoroughly sequentially bilingual.
Simultaneous bilingualism is when a child learns two languages at the same time. Adrienne is an example of simultaneous bilingualism.
- Ms.Sue-- Please read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Raven----please reply!, Thursday, September 6, 2007 at 2:10pm
I am confused. My text defines simultaneous bilingualism as a child younger than three years of age who
learns two(sometimes more)languages
at the same time and sequential
bilingualism as a child who learns
a second language after age three.
Since Adrienne is four years old-
(according to the text)I am thinking
she is she would be using sequential bilingualism.
Wwhich should I put, sequential or simulteaneous?
- Cultural Diversity - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 6, 2007 at 2:36pm
The text says that Adrienne's parents have spoken both English and French to her since she was born. Therefore, she learned both languages before she was three. This is an example of simultaneous bilingualism.
- Ms.Sue-- ''Please reply" - Ms.Sue this is for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Thursday, September 6, 2007 at 2:39pm
I need help!
- Cultural Diversity - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 6, 2007 at 3:02pm
Simultaneous means at the same time. Adrienne learned both French and English at the same time.
Sequential means one after the other.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Autonomous Language - Which example characterizes the use of autonomous language...
- college psychology - All of the following are true regarding billingualism ...
- English - 1. I have a mother, father and brother. 2. I have Mother, Father, and ...
- Maths - Julie is j years old. Her father is four times as old as Julie and her ...
- Cultural Diversity - Which cultural groups' tolerance level place them at ...
- MATH - 1. A father is three times as old as his son. Five years ago the sum of ...
- Cultural Diversity - Can someone please help with this question on my assignment...
- cultural diversity - Using the “think-pair-share” structure is a great strategy ...
- word problem(algebra) - Govin is w years old.His mother is 4 times his age.His ...
- Early child ed. - Will you please look at this question and look at what I've ...