Posted by greg on Monday, September 3, 2007 at 3:22pm.
New York citys 7.9 million people have a daily per capita consumption of 173 gallons of water. how many tons of sodium flouride would be requred per year to give this watr 1 part flourine per million parts water?
chemistry - Ms. Sue, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 3:29pm
173 x 7.9 million x 365 = x
x/1 million = gallons of flourine
chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 3:59pm
Close but not quite there.
I assume 1 part flourine per million parts really means 1 part flouride ION per million parts.
First, convert 1 part flouride ion to sodium flouride since the problem specifies using NaF.
1 part F x (molar mass NaF/molar mass F) = 1 x 41/19 = = ??. I have something like 2.2 or so and that will be tons if we keep all the other units in tons.
Next, convert 7.9 million people using 173 gallons water/day to gallons of water used per day.
173 gal/person x 7.3*10^106 people = gallons used per day.
Convert gallons of water used per day to cubic feet of water used per day using the density of water which is 62.4 lbs/cubic foot.
Convert lbs water used per day to tons per day using 2000 lbs = 1 ton
Now you have tons of water used per day and you want 2.2 tons sodium flouride in each 1,000,000 tons of water to make the 1 ppm F.
Multiply that answer by 365 to obtain tons NaF (sodium flouride) used in a year.
Check my thinking. Check my work.
chemistry - Ms. Sue, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 4:05pm
Ooops. I goofed. Thanks for the correction, Dr. Bob.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math(Probability) - Students took n = 35 samples of water from the east basin of...
- chemistry - Calculating Parts per million Helium gas, 3.0 x 10^-4 is dissolved ...
- Engineering Economics - Sales of bottled water in the U.S totaled 16.3 gallons ...
- Physics for life scince - III) The municipality of New York supplies 2 million ...
- College Algebra - The per-capital consumption of bottled water wa 5 gallons in ...
- math - The amount of pollution, A (in part per million), present in the air ...
- Chemistry - you are a public health officer in the water treatment facility for ...
- Science 7 - Problem; How small is 1 part per million? What will happen to our ...
- stats - The per capita consumption of coffee by people in the United States in ...
- Chemistry - I have 25 million gallons of water at a pH of 6.5. I add 17.4 ...