Posted by Paul on Monday, September 3, 2007 at 12:58pm.
What is the correct capitalization in this sentence? Truman became President when F.D.R. died.
grammar - Anonymous, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:02pm
I think just that president should not be capitalized since it is not naming a specific president directly after it.
grammar - Paul, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:05pm
What about this one? Harry Truman, a southern democrat, is known for creating The Truman Doctrine and NATO. What is the correct capitalization?
grammar - Anonymous, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:08pm
"The" shouldn't be capitalized. not sure about the southern democrat part, but the rest is fine.
grammar - Ms. Sue, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:12pm
Democrat should be capitalized because it's the name of a political party. Anonymous is right about the Truman Doctrine.
grammar - Anonymous, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:15pm
grammar - Ms. Sue, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:08pm
Old style manuals always capitalize President when referring to the President of the United States. However, newer manuals often don't capitalize president in this usage. Check this site from the University of Colorado -- about half-way down the page.
On the way to finding that site, I found a Canadian and U.K. site that still capitalizes President.
grammar - GuruBlue, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:11pm
Southern Democrat is the name of a specific group of people, so would be capitalized.
grammar - Anonymous, Monday, September 3, 2007 at 1:16pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - On following sentence the first clause is a dependent clause. The ...
- grammar - In the sentence: "our cat katie usually drags its food out of the dish...
- history - Harry S. Truman became the first President ever to campaign in Harlem...
- US History. Please, help. - How were President Truman and President Eisenhower ...
- English - capitalization - The president invited Senator Smith to the White ...
- grammar - Jf Kennedy was a senator before he president in 1960. became hi my ...
- English - Hello. I'll be very grateful if you help me with a few questions. 1)...
- Grammar and capitalization - Select the sentence with the correct capitalization...
- English - 1. He became a president when he was 48 years old. 2. He became the ...
- English Grammar - 1. TV gives us a lot of pleasure. 2. TV gives a lot of ...