Posted by ~christina~ on Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 4:49pm.
Indicate the correct waste container for the following compounds
choices are halogenated organic, nonhalogenated organic, aqueous, and organic solid
b)methylene chloride (dichloromethane)
d)10% NaOH would it be aqeous?
for the rest I don't even know where to find this information at all.
- science(chem) - ~christina~, Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 5:04pm
I'm now thinking that
for methylene chloride and sodium hypochlorite they would go in halogenated organic waste bottle b/c they have Cl but this may be wrong...
- science(chem) - DrBob222, Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 5:16pm
Somewhere in your course you will be given, or should be given, oral instructions or written instructions about the disposal of different types of chemicals. The reason is that pouring any unused material down the drain is no longer accreptable. So there are disposal jars/buckets/barrels/crocks/etc labeled and the instructions are to help you know which crock in which to throw your trash. Most of the decisons made concerning what goes in a certain disposal jar are dictated by the companies that pick up these items for disposal.
From the description you have given, I would go with the following.
hexane is a non-halogenated organic.
methylene chloride is a halogenated organic.
The next three are water soluble; therefore, I would place all of them in the aqueous jar (although the question isn't clear as to MgSO4 solution or MgSO4 solid). There COULD be problems with placing a strong oxidizing agent and a strong reducing agent in the same aq jar but in the absence of other information that is where I would place the NaOCl.
- science(chem) - ~christina~, Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 9:16pm
This question was posed in my post lab questions as I'm supposed to look this info up.
They expect us to find out all this on our own.
Thanks Dr.Bob =D
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Organic Chemistry - separation and purification scheme how would i begin this? ...
- Organic Chemistry - What reagents will separate, isolate, and purify 50% ...
- CHEM Help please Thanks - 8) Explain exactly how you would perform the following...
- chemistry - 1)when benzoic acid and quinine is dissolved in CH2Cl2 and added 2M ...
- chemistry-organic - what happens when sodium benzoate is added to ...
- Chemistry - 1. If you became confused and did not know whether a flask contains ...
- Organic Chem - Q: Each of the solvent given should effectively separate one of ...
- Organic - Which layer is likely to be on the bottom in each case? a. Sodium ...
- Organic chem - i have no idea how to do this! please help me :) 1a. When sodium ...
- extraction - How to distingush organic layer and aqueous layer? The organic ...