Posted by Jennifer on Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 8:51am.
Is this a good inference based on the following information?
"Ain't I a woman?"
The speaker is probably female and she is probably upset about something related to being a woman.
- English - bobpursley, Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 9:06am
I would probably have made an inference based on the usage of ain't.
- English - Jennifer, Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 9:18am
I did make an inference based on "ain't." It suggests an angry tone, which I already conveyed in the example I gave. I thought that my inference made sense. Does anyone have suggestions for a better inference? This is the original question:
Is this a good inference based on the following quote?
"Ain't I a woman?"
The speaker is probably female and she is upset about something related to being a woman?
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 9:25am
That's one inference, but to really tell, you'd have to HEAR her say it. It could mean many things, including what you inferred. It could also be said in a joking way, in a proud way, etc. Tone of voice would tell for sure.
- English - SraJMcGin, Sunday, September 2, 2007 at 10:53am
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help. Here are some interesting sites on the word "ain't."
The use of the word would make me ask the century and the level of education of the person saying this. The entire CONTEXT of the word is most important.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - Help with junior thesis idea? ok so i have to write a junior thesis ...
- psychology 220 - # 1.36 (1 pts.) Based on the incidence of Fetal Alcohol ...
- Psychology 220 - # 1.36 (1 pts.) Based on the incidence of Fetal Alcohol ...
- Riddle - How are these two people related to each other? If a man's mother's ...
- English - Could you please check if everything is correct? Thank you. 1) angry/...
- english - change to reported speech speaker a: eih she is coming! speaker s:who...
- More Physics - A light plank rests on two scales that read Fg1 = 410 N and Fg2...
- english - Hello for these questions to change for making the language nonsexist ...
- English - What is the tone that sojourner truth used in Ain't I a woman?
- English - 1. When a speaker seeks to explain or illustrate a process, she or he ...