Posted by Jim on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 3:27pm.
I don't really understand this aspect of physics yet, I need help understanding these problems.
Two particles, with identical positive charges and a separation of 2.00 10-2 m, are released from rest. Immediately after the release, particle 1 has an acceleration a1 whose magnitude is 4.60 103 m/s2, while particle 2 has an acceleration a2 whose magnitude is 8.50 103 m/s2. Particle 1 has a mass of 5.80 10-6 kg.
(a) Find the charge on each particle.
(b) Find the mass of particle 2.
The drawing shows three point charges fixed in place. The charge at the coordinate origin has a value of q1 = +11.00 µC; the other two have identical magnitudes, but opposite signs: q2 = -5.00 µC and q3 = +5.00 µC.
The drawing has a Y axis and a X axis. Located between the +Y and +X plane are two 45 degree angles with each angle measuring 1.30 meters and 23 degrees.
(a) Determine the net force (magnitude and direction) exerted on q1 by the other two charges.
N ° (measured counter clockwise from the x-axis)
(b) If q1 had a mass of 1.20 g and it were free to move, what would be its acceleration?
- Physics - drwls, Friday, August 31, 2007 at 3:40pm
1. Get the charge by first computing the accelerating force on particle 1
F = M1 * a1
The force on particle 2 is the same as the force on particle 1, but they don't tell you the mass of M2.
Once you know F, used Coulomb's Law to compute the charge Q on either particle.
F = k Q^2/R^2
You can compute M2 from the relationship
F = M1 a1 = M2 a2.
M2 = (a1/a2) M1
I do not understand your description of Problem 2:
"Located between the +Y and +X plane are two 45 degree angles with each angle measuring 1.30 meters and 23 degrees."
Angles are not measured in meters AND degrees.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - trying to study but stuck on this problem. Two particles, with ...
- physics - Two particles, with identical positive charges and a separation of 2....
- Physics - Two particles, with identical positive charges and a separation of 2....
- Physics #16 - Two particles, with identical positive charges and a separation of...
- physics - You pick up a charge of one micro-Coulomb while walking over carpet, ...
- physics - Four point charges are located at the corners of a square with sides ...
- SCIENCE,PHYSICS - Exact solutions for many-body problems are rarely encountered ...
- Physics (help steve) - Exact solutions for many-body problems are rarely ...
- Physics Problems - Can you please help me with the following problem? Two ...
- physics - One particle has a mass of 2.86 x 10-3 kg and a charge of +7.32 μ...