Posted by Wendy on Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 6:51pm.
At age 2, a cat or dog is considered 24 "human" years old. Each year after age 2 is equivalent to 4 "human" years. Fill in the expression [24 + X (a-2)] so that it represents the age of a cat or dog in human years. Copy the chart and use your expression to complete it.
Age 24+X(a-2) Age human years
- Math - Wendy, Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 6:56pm
I do not understand this math problem at all. It is actually my son's, who is in 7th grade, and the teacher did not explain anything either. If someone could just explain how to figure this out, that would be great.
- Math - Ms. Sue, Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 7:05pm
Age 2 = 24 years
Age 3 = 24 years + 4 years = 28 years
Age 4 = 28 years + 4 years = 32 years
And so on --
- Math - Wendy, Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 7:22pm
I have not done Alegbra in 30 years so I am quite rusty with it. It just did not occur to me to change the 24 to 28 and so on. Does that mean that X equals (a-2), which would be 4, and that a would be 6?
- Math - DrBob222, Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 7:24pm
With no definitions, it is difficult to know exactly what the teacher wanted but here is the best I can do. It is actually only a little more detailed explanation than the one given by Ms Sue and it takes into accout the factor of 4 years aging + the current age of the cat or dog.
Apparently, the teacher wants a to be the age of the cat or dog and X to be the constant of 4 years. At least that is my take on the problem.
The equation provided is
24 + X(a-2).
a = the age of cat or dog; i.e., 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. in the equation.
X = 4 in the equation.
24 + 4(2-2) = 24+4(0)= 24+0=24
24 + 4(3-2) = 24+4(1)= 24+4=28
24 + 4(4-2) = 24+4(2)= 24+8=32
24 + 4(5-2) = 24+4(3)= 24+12=36
- Math - Wendy, Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 7:26pm
- Math - Rebecca, Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 4:20pm
Thank you for having this online! My kid came home with this problem today. I have a Masters degree, but was still stumped! Time for some refresher courses...
Answer this Question
- math - Consider that the age, x, of a unicorn in human equivalent years can be ...
- algebra - Essay; show all work. Consider that the age, x, of a unicorn in human ...
- algebra - Essay; show all work. Consider that the age, x, of a unicorn in human...
- algebra - Consider that the age, x, of a unicorn in human equivalent years can ...
- math - Consider that the age,x,of a unicorn in human equivalent years can be ...
- algebra - Consider that the age x of a unicorn in human equivlant years can be ...
- math - Today Angela's cat's age in months is the same as Angela's age in years. ...
- Gabes - Every year of a dog's life is worth 1 year of a human's life. If Rusty ...
- math - A. A woman was 30 years old when her daughter was born.Her age is now 6 ...
- math - mary is x years old. it is her birthday today. her sister, sherry is 4 ...