Posted by Marissa on Thursday, August 16, 2007 at 12:42pm.
Hey thanks for all your help but you kinda confused me on a few:
1)Determine whether f(x)=-5x^2-10x+6 has a maximum or minimum value and find that value
and you said the function opens up, so there is a minimum.
it occurs when x=-1, and that minimum is f(-1), which is 11. So the answer is D right?
2)Identify the vertex,axis of symmetry,and direction of opening for y=1/2(x-8)^2+2
I picked A,here is your reasoning.vertex is ok, but how can the axis of symmetry be x=-8?? Would it not go through the vertex?? So it is x=9 (always the same as the x of the vertex)
3)Which quadratic function has its vertex at(-2,7)and opens down?
4)Write y=x^2+4x-1 in vertex form.
Well I'm not Reiny but I can help you out with #3
I found out by plugging it into the Y=
for creating graphs on my TI-83 Plus that it is A.
You should be able to do the same if you have this calculator and plug in each function. Then hit graph
For #1 contrary to what you found I found that when I plugged it into my Y= function on my calculator that the
-curve faced down
-at X=-1 was the vertex
- based on that I would have to say my conclusion is that it has a maximum at Y=11
For #2 it is D
but not x=9 like you said but I assume it was a typo
The axis of symetry is the same as the x of the vertex (your thinking is correct)
1. yes it is D
2. I clearly meant to type x=8
3. clearly A. B would have vertex (2,7), and both C and D open downwards
y = x^2 + 4x + 4 - 4
= (x+2)^2 - 5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra- Maximum and minimum. - I dont understand how to find the maximum and ...
- Maximum and Minimum - Its been awhile since I have done compleating the square, ...
- ALGEBRA - Determine whether the quadratic function has a minimum or maximum ...
- math - I'm having some troubles with these. Thanks in advance. If a>0 find ...
- math - Determine whether the given quadratic function has a minimum value or ...
- math - Maximum or minimum values of the function f(x) = (1 – x)^2 e^x is: i need...
- calculus - Find the absolute extrema of the function (if any exist) on each ...
- algebra - given the following quadratic equation, determine if it has a maximum ...
- Math/Algebra...can you check this please... - f(x)= -4(x+5)^2+3 The vertex is...
- Math - Can someone help me with these questions? 1.What are the maximum and ...