Posted by Shari on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 2:55pm.
Is the following sentence a complex sentence?
As a result of showing my gregarious personaity, I have many friends.
No, it's not complex. Before the comma, there needs to be a clause, not a phrase.
Did you find my correction below??
Let me know how you decide to correct this.
Now that I show my gregarious personality, I have many friends.
Excellent! Now both are clauses -- do you see why the first one did not have two clauses?
Yes, I think. Is it because As a result.. isn't a subordinator?
Subordinating conjunctions are just one type of "signal" word for the beginning of subordinate clauses. Here are a few:
Scroll down for Coordinating Conjunctions: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm
Relative pronouns can also introduce subordinate clauses: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/pronouns1.htm#relative
Thank you so much.
=) I think I actually understand...
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Are these complex sentences???? =/ help. 1. Although my friend did not...
- Language Help - 3. Identify the correct statement. When a complex sentence ...
- Language Arts - Identify the correct statement. A) When a complex sentence ...
- Quick english help - Please check & see if I classified these sentences as ...
- English - The noise from the ducks in the pond was soothing. I have to Underline...
- english - Identify the underlined words in each sentence. 7. (Because chickens ...
- English - Select the term that correctly identifies each sentence or underlined ...
- Language Arts~! - * Trying to laugh as quietly as possible,* Lucas snuck out of...
- Language Arts - * Trying to laugh as quietly as possible,* Lucas snuck out of ...
- Language help - (Singing loudly in the shower) is what Jessica loves to do every...