Posted by jayjay on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 at 11:20am.
What are the levels of organization in a living system?
LEVEL 1 - Cells
Are the basic unit of structure and function in living things.
May serve a specific function within the organism
Examples- blood cells, nerve cells, bone cells, etc.
LEVEL 2 - Tissues
Made up of cells that are similar in structure and function and which work together to perform a specific activity
Examples - blood, nervous, bone, etc. Humans have 4 basic tissues: connective, epithelial, muscle, and nerve.
LEVEL 3 - Organs
Made up of tissues that work together to perform a specific activity
Examples - heart, brain, skin, etc.
LEVEL4 - Organ Systems
Groups of two or more tissues that work together to perform a specific function for the organism.
Examples - circulatory system, nervous system, skeletal system, etc.
The Human body has 11 organ systems - circulatory, digestive, endocrine, excretory (urinary), immune(lymphatic), integumentary, muscular, nervous, reproductive, respiratory, and skeletal.
LEVEL 5 - Organisms
Entire living things that can carry out all basic life processes. Meaning they can take in materials, release energy from food, release wastes, grow, respond to the environment, and reproduce.
Usually made up of organ systems, but an organism may be made up of only one cell such as bacteria or protist.
Examples - bacteria, amoeba, mushroom, sunflower, human
Thank you, I now understand.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- biology - The (**) are my answers Which of the following is not a ...
- BIOLOGY - Name and discuss the levels of organization in a multicellular ...
- Physics of Modern Technology - Label as true each of the following processes ...
- science - cells are the basic units of structure and function in living ...
- PHYSICS - Name and discuss the levels of organization in a multicellular ...
- science - Please help! I am having a hard time. Can you give me some help with ...
- biology - Properties of life and recognizing living and nonliving things What ...
- biology - increase in the amount of living material and formation of new ...
- biogloy - What does it take to be a living organism? Living things share 8 ...
- Check please science - Cells are to tissues as organs are to 1 ORGAN SYSTEM 2 ...