Posted by q on Friday, August 3, 2007 at 5:23pm.
solve for x
(24+2x)(10+2x) - 240 = 152
24(10) = ___
2x (2x) = ____
Now subtract 240.
Can you finish the problem from here?
dont i need to put this in equatic equation to solve for x. cause i need to find the width of a small rectangle inside a bigger triangle.
Your equation looks o.k. to me. All you have to do is solve for x.
ok this is what i did
foil it. brings 152 over to the left side of the equation
combine like terms
help with magic number? Thanks.
I get 68x for the second term. Recheck.
If you are going to solve the quadratic equation by trial and error anyway, then you don't need to write it in standard form first.
In this case you can write it as:
(24+2x)(10+2x) - 240 = 152 --->
(24+2x)(10+2x) = 392 = 2*14^2
You can easily see a way to get two factors of 14 and one factor of 2: Take x = 2. The other solution can be found as follows. The quadratic function (24+2x)(10+2x) is zero at x = -12 and x = -5 and is therefore symmetrical about the average of these two points, i.e. x = -(8+1/2)
If x = 2 is a solution of the equation (i.e. makes the quadratic function equal to 392), then so must the point:
x = -(8+1/2) - [2 - -(8+1/2)]
Answer this Question
- Mathematics/pre-algerbra - how do I find a value of x that will make each ...
- Algebra, math - how do I find a value of x that will make each proportion true...
- math,correction - Directions:Multiply Problem: ((x)/(3)+(3)/(4)) ((3x)/(4)-(3)/(...
- Math - If 450 kilowatts of electric used cost 25.32, then how much would 240 ...
- Math - The problem to solve is: (x+20)(x-12)(x+4)>0 but I can't figure out ...
- Exponent Rules - SAC = STC/y = (w1(y/240)^2 + 48w2) / y = (w1)(y/240)^2(y) + ((...
- algebra - x+1 -x+2 = x+3 ____ _____ ____ 2 3 4 How do I solve this equations? ...
- Algebra - Which equation could be used to find the dimensions of a room that has...
- calculus - Leave any unneeded answer spaces blank. [Hint: use synthetic division...
- Linear equations - I am not good at equations I need to complete this chart for ...