Posted by Sara on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 9:23pm.
If the problem is this:
x/(x - 3) - 4 - (3x - 5)/(x + 2)
...find a common denominator to start.
The common denominator is (x - 3)(x + 2), then convert each term using the common denominator.
Here's a start:
[x(x + 2)/(x - 3)(x + 2)] - [4(x - 3)(x + 2)]/(x - 3)(x + 2) - [(2x - 5)(x - 3)]/(x - 3)(x + 2) =
I'll let you take it from here. Remember to use the distributive property to distribute the negative!
I hope this will help and is what you were asking.
I meant to type this for the problem:
x/(x - 3) - 4 - (2x - 5)/(x + 2)
The rest is OK. Sorry for any confusion!
but when I do this I get
solving this I get
The answer in the book however says
so I don't know what I am doing wrong, can you take me step by step through the problem. I have a lot of problems, but I think once I understand what I am doing wrong with this one I can get the rest.
The top should be this:
x^2 + 2x - 4x^2 + 4x + 24 - 2x^2 + 11x - 15
Combining like terms:
-5x^2 + 17x + 9
Factoring out the negative gives this:
-(5x^2 - 17x - 9)
This should help you see the answer given:
I hope this helps. Watch those negative signs because they can be tricky on these types of problems!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- College Algebra 1 - help! 2x/1+x-1/1-x=2 Get a common denominator. As I see your...
- java - Write a program that will find the lowest common denominator of two ...
- algebra - Solve for x x/6-x/8 equals 1 Do fraction busters Find the least common...
- Algebra - Please explain to me how to do these problems...Thanks 1. Find the ...
- java - can anyone help me with this? I'm new to java! Write a program that will ...
- math - subtract: express your answer in simplest form. 5x-3/6 - (x+3)/6 answer ...
- math,correction please.. - (x)/(x-2) - (x+1)/(x) = (8)/(x^2-2x) I keep getting x...
- Math - 26 x 1/5 divided by 1/2 x 5. evaluate. I don't know if i'm supposed to ...
- HELP MATH - how would u simplify this problem i think it is 60 --- x^6 am i ...
- bobPursley2...the other one - Problem 2: (x+2)/(2x^2+5x+2) - (x-3)/(2x^2-5x-3) ...