Posted by DANIELLE on Thursday, July 5, 2007 at 3:08pm.
Prove that the tangents to a circle at the endpoints of a diameter are parallel. State what is given, what is to be proved, and your plan of proof. Then write a two-column proof. Hint draw a DIAGRAM with the points labeled. Can some one please check for me
Given : ____________________________
To prove: _______________________________
Lines AB and CD such that the lines are tangent to the circle with the center O at points B and D.
Segment BD is the diameter of the circle.
Line AB is parallel to Line CD.
Apply the parallel line property:
Two lines that are perpendicular to the same line are parallel.
1) Line AB and Line CD are tangent to the circle
2) Segment BD is the diameter of the circle
3) Segment OB and Segment OD are the radii
4) Line AB is perpendicular to Segment OB; Line CD is perpendicular to Segment OD
5) Line AB is perpendicular to Segment BD; Line CD is perpendicular to Segment BD
6) Line AB is parallel to Line CD
3) Definition of a diameter
4) If a line is tangent to a circle, then the line is perpendicular to the radius drawn to the point of tangency.
5) Substitution property
6) Two lines that are perpendicular to the same line are parallel.
Your proof is excellent. I agree with all steps and reasons given. By "sustitution property" in statement # 5, iI assume you mean the reason is the same as #4
- Geometry - beast, Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 11:50am
Find the area of the larger segment whose chord is 8" long in a circle with an 8" radius.
- Geometry - Anonymous, Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 11:29am
Line AC is tangent to circle D at point B. Line HF is tangent to circle D at point E. Segments DB an DE are radii of circle D. Segment BC is congruent to segment EF.
Answer this Question
geometry - If the endpoints of the diameter of a circle are (3, 1) and (6, 5), ...
geometry - Name the diameter, radius, center, and the equation of the circle ...
Mirielle - The endpoints of the diameter of a circle are (-6,2) and (10,-2). ...
Geometry - Circles and tangents - Two circles of radius 1 are externally tangent...
GEOMETRY - The diameter of a circle has endpoints P(10, 2) and Q(4, ...
geometry - AB and AD are tangents of the circle with the center at C. The ...
geometry - This one is confusing me. please help The diameter of a circle has ...
geometry - given: chord AB is parallel to chord CD prove if two chords of a ...
geometry - the endpoints of the diameter of circle O are (-2,-1) and (-16,13). ...
Math - The points (4, 5) and ( 4, 1) are endpoints of a diameter of ...
For Further Reading