Posted by alodia on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 8:19am.
how did p.e. started in greece??
Please check this site about the Olympics of ancient Greece.
If you mean that PE is phsical education then the answer is below.
The site Ancient Greece: KIN 375 -- Historical Analysis of Physical Activity breaks up the origin of physical education into two major areas.
THEORIES ABOUT THE ORIGINS OF PLAY
1) Play as a utilitarian behavior--play emerged from and was linked to survival skills such as hunting, fishing, and boxing.
2) Play as an instinctive behavior--humans have a natural need for play (play behaviors are also readily observed in the animal kingdom) and thus have always played whether they need to practice or acquire a skill or not. What people learn is immaterial to whether or not people play.
3) Play as a ritualistic behavior--games explain forces in the world that are not understood. By participating in the ritual one explains the meaning of a certain kind of event.
THE ORIGINS OF BALL GAMES
As far back as we know people have played ball games. There are several possible explanations:
1) Ball games are tied to religious events and magical functions. We now take for granted the characteristics of a ball, but ancient cultures thought the perfections of a sphere was godlike.
2) One function of ball games which appears to be pre-eminent was a fertility function. Games were played to rejoice in the production of food, children, and the seasons. The association of games with fertility pops up throughout history. For example:
Winter breaks, Spring comes in. The earth is going through a process of rebirth. People celebrate by playing games.
Another time of play is in the Fall because of the harvest.
Another time of play is at the height of the Summer when the days become longer and spring is on its way.
finally, Winter solstice (sol, the sun + sistere, to cause to stand still--either of two points on the sun s ecliptic at which it is farthest north or farthest south of the equator) a time of celebration as the days become longer and Spring is on its way.
THESE TRANSLATE ROUGHLY IN MODERN TIMES TO EASTER, THANKSGIVING, CHRISTMAS, AND THE ADVENT OF SUMMER. SPRING IS BIRTH, SUMMER IS JOY, FALL IS HARVEST, WINTER IS DEATH.
No one has answered this question yet.
Answer this Question
ancient worlds - Does anybody know web(s) for famous landscapes in Ancient ...
math - The first ancient olympic games were held in 776 b.c. the ancient games ...
physival education - when where and why was the ancient olympic games started?
history - How elderly people lived in ancient Rome and Greece? About 5 percent ...
Soical Studies - Where can i find stuff about ancient china Start with a list ...
world history - during the peloponnesian war the greek civilization suffered ...
science - what is a fungi that doesnt fit into the other standard groups of ...
Ancient Greece - What do you think was the most important legacy of ancient ...
social studies - What evidence have archaeologists found of a highly developed ...
Ancient Greece - I need help to write a thesis on Ancient Greece Architecture
For Further Reading