Posted by Aubrey on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 11:44am.
Using the half- reaction method, balance the redox reaction shown below. (I-)+(Br2) ---> (IO3-)+(Br-)
Step 1. Break the reaction into the two half reactions.
Br2 ==> Br^-
I^- ==> IO3^-
Step 2. I will leave the first one for you to do. The second one is done as follows:
Determine the change in oxidation state of the element changing. In this case, I.
I on the left is -1. On the right is +5.
Step 3. Add electrons to the appropriate side to balance the change in oxidation state.
I^- ==> IO3^- + 6e
Step 4. Determine the charge on each side. The left side is -1; the right side is -7. Add H^+ in acid solution to balance the charge.
I^- ==> IO3^- + 6e + 6H^+
Step 5. Add water to the opposite side to balance the H^+.
I^- + 3H2O ==> IO3^- + 6e + 6H^+
This completes the balancing for this half reaction.
Post your work if you get stuck on finishing.
Chemistry - Nick, Friday, April 4, 2014 at 1:27pm
Iodine doesn't have an oxidation state of -1 in the molecule I-Br because it is a heteronuclear molecule. Br is more electronegative therefore it would have an oxidation state of +1.
Chemistry - Nick, Friday, April 4, 2014 at 1:28pm
Therefore Iodine would have an oxidation state of +1 not Br.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Using the half-reaction method, balance the redox reaction below. ...
- Chem - Balance the following redox reactions in acidic solution by the half-...
- Chemistry - Please write down the redox reactions (using the half-reaction ...
- Chemistry - Dr. Bob222 I still didn't understand which is the reduction half ...
- chemistry-balanced redox equations - Use the following steps to balance the ...
- chemistry - For the reactions that occurred spontaneously in the individual ...
- chemistry - Use the following steps to balance the redox reaction below: Mg + Au...
- chemistry - Reaction 1: I2(aq)Cu^+2(aq) Ag^+(aq)Br2(aq) Column 1---Column 2---...
- science - determine if each equation represent a redox reaction.if it is a redox...
- Chemistry-DrBob222 - Arrows disappeared from below added them back to the ...