Posted by Walter on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 1:25pm.
Show me how to solve problems like this.
1.) 7 + (-9) + (-5) + 6
2.) [(-3)(-4)(-5)]/ (-2)(-3)]
Try reading the following sites' pages very carefully. Then make an attempt at doing the problem, and we'll see if you got it right:
(Broken Link Removed)
I will explain it simply okay. Searching sites is a waste of time.
-Subtracting Real Numbers-
If a and b are real number then a - b is = to a + (-b)
The paretheses indicate that number stays negative.
so: Step one
7+(-9)+(-5)+6 :: add negative 9 and 7, which translates to 7+(-9) or 7-9
-9+7 = -2
7 - 9 = -2
(-2) + (-5):: when you add two negatives the answer is negative.
-2 + -5 = -7
(-7)+6 or 6-7
In tree form
Problem # two
-Multiplying and Dividing Real Numbers-
-Multiplication of real numbers is just like whole numbers. Only you have to determine if the answer is negative or positive.
-when you mulitply two negatives together you get a positive answer.
-when you mulitply a positive and a negative you get negative answer.
- Brackets [ ] those things, indicate that the equation inside of the bracket is done first in the order of operations.
- when parentheses and/or brackets are next to each other without a sign it means to multiply.
So: Step one, remove the brackets by doing the equation inside.
Here is the tree
-Step two was perform the operation outside of the bracket. (-2)(-3)=6
I hope I helped.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - It is very rude of you to behave like that. It is very wise of you to ...
- Math - Four classmates are comparing the number of pages that they have read in ...
- Math - This needs to be worked backwards. Four classmates are comparing the ...
- college chemistry - molarity question - My textbook doesn't show me how to do ...
- math,factoring,help - Can someone please show me step by step how to do these. I...
- Algebra II - Right now we're doing systems of Linear Equations in Three ...
- algebra 1 - Can someone please help me with this inequality problem -3-8>(4x+...
- math - Here are a few problems I need solving Make sure to show a check for the ...
- math,help - can someone help me with this i am lost now i've been doing math for...
- statistics - In the past, 44% of those taking a public accounting qualifying ...