Posted by mathstudent05 on Friday, May 25, 2007 at 11:34am.
Can someone help me set this up to solve or what should i do because i have no clue. thanks.
Some scientists believe there is a limit to how long humans can live.* One supporting argument is that
during the last century, life expectancy from age 65 has
increased more slowly than life expectancy from birth, so
eventually these two will be equal, at which point, according to these scientists, life expectancy should increase no further. In 1900, life expectancy at birth was 46 yr, and life
expectancy at age 65 was 76. In 2000, these figures had risen to 76.9 and 82.9, respectively. In both cases, the
increase in life expectancy has been linear. Using these assumptions and the data given, find the maximum life
expectancy for humans.
The problem is based on unfounded assumptions, but that is not the problem.
You have two linear equations, and you are looking for the common point where those lines intersect.
Line1) Expectancy0= 46 + (76.9-46)/100 * year
LIne2) Expectancy65= 76 + (82.9=76)/100 * year
where year is time in years after 1900.
solve to see where expectancy0=expectance65
Can you continue helping me. I am not seeing how to bring out this problem. this is what i had in the beginning:
letting x = # of yrs from 1900 (1900=0 and 2000 = 100)
letting y = yrs of life expected
determining the "from birth" equation
x 1 = 0 ; y 1 = 46
x2 = 100;y2=76.9
i figured out slope to be:
m= (76.9-46)/(100-0)=(30.9)/(100) = 0.309
then by using equation: y-y1=m(x-x1)
y=0.309x + 46
then i determine "from age 65" equation
x1=0;y1 = 76
x2= 0.309; y = 82.9
m = (82.9-76)/(100-0)=(6.9)/(100)=0.069
then i make it into the format
so then by placing both equations in standard form to solve
subtracting eliminating y
x = (-30)/(-0.24)
x= 125 yrs (yr 2025)
Actual age find y
-0.069 (125) - y = 76
-8.625 + y = 76
y=84.625 max age
yes, that is it.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - How to solve for delta using trig functions? i.e. cosine sine tangent ...
- english - Scientists report (1) that creatures living in the deep sea are in ...
- math - I have the problem ((square root of h^2+4h+5)-(square root of 5))/h. I am...
- HLEP! - HOW CAN VIDEO GAMES BE GOOD FOR YOU? Video games may improve eye-hand ...
- English: Please Help - I do have some corrections made but my computer wont let ...
- English - I am looking for the dependent clauses in this sentence. 1. Because ...
- LA - Which statement from "Why Do We Need Zoos?" best captures the author's ...
- Science - Please Check My Written Answer - Please help me with the following: ...
- Science/Evolution - What do scientists believe that humans and apes originate ...
- Science - Do you believe humans can harvest forest resouces in an ...