Posted by Tamia on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:38am.
Please help to find x, y
6x+y=11 (adding the equation)
__________ (-y and +y will be 0)
Taking variables to one side
substitute this value of x in equation 2
(x=2)and (y=-1) is the solution of the given equation.
Instead of miley
's suggestion, do the following:
Take the value of y in the first formula and substitute it for y in the second formula. Solve the second formula for x.
y=8x-17 (Value of y)
Once x is found, solve for y in the second formula. Check by inserting both values into the first formula.
I hope this helps much more. Thanks for asking.
Question no 2
5x-2y=17 eq 1
2x+3y=3 eq 2
multiply eq 1 by 3
15x-6y=51 eq 3
Now multiply eq 2 by 2
4x+6y=6 eq 4
19x =57 (adding both the equations)
substitute this value of x in eq 2
(x=3) and (y=-1) is the solution of the given equation.
x and the co-effecient cannot be subtracted so the substitution by adding is better
hey tamia can i know by which method are you solving the equation ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - could you please check this answer for me and correct. thanks given ...
- Maths - find the equation of the perpendicular bisector of the line joining P(2...
- algebra - solve the following equation by clearing fractions show all work want ...
- math - The rectangle given has a perimeter of 14 units. Find the value(s) of x ...
- algebra - solve the following equation by clearing fraction want to know if this...
- quick question regarding equations - I know there are methods out there but what...
- math - Can someone please check my work? Question~ Find the point-slope form of ...
- Question:8th Grade Algebra - How do you get a variable term from one side of an ...
- math - which equation is equivalent to 5x-2(7x+1)=14x? why? a -9x-2=14x b -9xt1=...
- algebra3 - can u solve the equation 1)1.2x= 2.3x-2.2 2)[x-4]= 15 3)[13+2x]= 5 1...