Posted by Priscilla on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 4:34pm.
How do I figure out this question? Is there a formula I need?
For which of the following sets of line segments is it possible to consturct a triangle?
1. Sides of length 17cm, 18 cm,and19 cm
2. Sides of length 11m, 18m, and 6 m
3. Sides of length 46ft, 25ft,and70ft
No side can be greater than the sum of the other two sides.
So that means none of these can construct a triangle then.
relook at 1. Is any side greater than the sum of the two others? What about 3?
I am still kinda of confused on this.
Suppose you want to draw a triangle with sides 10, 3, and 5
first draw a base 10 cm long.
Now set a compass at 5 cm and and with its centre at the end of the line, draw an arc above the line.
Change the radius of your compass to 3 cm, set the centre of the compass at the end of the line and draw another arc above the line.
The intersection of these two arcs will be the third vertex of your triangle.
in the case I gave you those two arcs never meet, so no triangle is possible
This shows the principle that "bobpursely" stated for you.
TO HAVE A TRIANGLE, THE SUM OF ANY OF THE TWO SIDES MUST BE GREATER THAN THE THIRD SIDE
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - which of the following sets of line segments could make a triangle? i don...
- Congruence-creating a triangle - Three segments are given. I need to draw one ...
- geometry - Theres a right triangle. its hypotenuse is 30. There is a line in the...
- Math - triangle abc has sides that are 20 centimeters 38 centimeters and 50 ...
- math(trig) - i need to figure out how to write the formula for the following ...
- Agent HELP! Trigonometry - An isosceles triangle ABC has two sides 17cm in ...
- Segments in a Circle - If PT = 5.3, TU = 3.8, and UV = 6.4. Solve for the ...
- math - Let PSR be a triangle. Let A, B, C be the midpoints of the sides PS, PR ...
- Math - 1. What is the remainder when 2^190 is divided by 5? How do I approach ...
- Math Trig - I have to find the x (bottom length of the triangle) in a right ...