Posted by serts on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 7:53pm.
what does FLOURISH mean in the context of shakespeare.
ie. [flourish and shout]
To grow well or luxuriantly; thrive:
The crops flourished in the rich bottomland.
To do or fare well; prosper:
¡°No village on the railroad failed to flourish¡±(John Kenneth Galbraith)
To be in a period of highest productivity, excellence, or influence:
an anonymous poet who flourished in the tenth century; painted when Impressionism was flourishing.
To make bold, sweeping movements:
The banner flourished in the wind.
To wield, wave, or exhibit dramatically.
A dramatic or stylish movement, as of waving or brandishing:
¡°A few . . . musicians embellish their performance with a flourish of the fingers¡±(Frederick D. Bennett)
An embellishment or ornamentation:
signed her name with a distinctive flourish; a long speech with many rhetorical flourishes.
An ostentatious act or gesture:
a flourish of generosity.
Music A showy or ceremonious passage, such as a fanfare.
The central meaning shared by these verbs is ¡°to swing back and forth boldly and dramatically¡±:
flourished her newly signed contract;
brandish a sword;
waving a baton.
a flourishing business
Plants flourish in this earth.
Plants will not flourish without water.
The company has really flourished since the chief engineer joined us.
Chaucer flourished at the end of the 14th century.
The dramatist flourished around 1930.
They showed us about the house with much flourish.
She waved to us with a flourish.
Probably "A showy or ceremonious passage, such as a fanfare." Does the word show up in the stage directions?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. He added a little flour to the pan. 2. He added a spoonful of flour...
- math 5th grade - Victoria has 2 pounds of flour she uses 2/5 of flour for pizza ...
- math - kamala had 5026 grams of flour in a canister. she bought a 4157 gram bag ...
- Math - Kamala had 5,026 grams of flour in a canister. She brought a 4,157 gram ...
- percentage - Chitra used wheat flour&plain flour to bake some cakes.19%of the ...
- Math - A baker has a bag of flour that is 11% whole wheat and a bag of flour ...
- Algebra - Mona uses 1 1/2 cups less whole wheat flour than white flour. She uses...
- Math 6th Grade Level - A baker bought 680,000 oz. of flour and packed the flour ...
- math - the mass of a bag of flour is 7 kg 500 g joyce repacks the flour into 12 ...
- Math - A cook has 2 2/3 cups of flour. A recipe calls for 2 3/4 cups of flour. ...