Posted by Monica on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 8:32am.
Our teacher gave us this problem as a challenge.
Some of us have been working on it for a few days
Prove that the largest area of any quadrilateral is obtained when opposite angles are supplementary.
Wow, what a classic and nice question, haven't seen it for years.
My compliments to your teacher for challenging you like that.
I am working at it, ....
Let the sides be a,b,c,and d. Let the angle between a and d be θ, let the angle between b and c be α.
Let x be the diagonal joining the other two angles.
By the Cosine Law: x^2 = a^2 + d^2 2ad cosθ and x^2 = b^2 + c^2 2bc cos α
Then a^2 + d^2 2ad cosθ = b^2 + c^2 2bc cos α
Differentiate with respect to θ
2ad sinθ = 2bc sinα (dα /dθ) -----> resulting in dα/dθ = (ad sinθ)/(bc sinα) (#1)
Let A be the area of the quadrilateral, then
A= ½ ad sin θ + ½ bc sin α now take dA/dθ
dA/dθ = ½ ad cos θ + ½ bc cosα(dα/dθ)
= 0 for a maximum of A
So ½ bc cosα(dα/dθ) = -½ ad cos θ
dα/dθ = -(ad cos θ)/(bc cosα) but from (#1) dα/dθ = (ad sinθ)/(bc sin α)
therefore: (ad sinθ)/(bc sin α) = - (ad cos θ)/(bc cosα)
or (sinθ)/(sin α) = - (cos θ)/(cosα)
sinθ cosα = - cos θ sin α
sinθ cosα + cos θ sin α = 0
sin(θ + α) = 0
so: θ + α = 0 , which is not possible, no quardateral or θ + α = 180º or θ + α = 360º also not possible
Therefore the opposite angles must be supplementary, i.e. they must add up to 180º
I can follow it up to the point where you said,
A= ½ ad sin ? + ½ bc sin ?
where does that come form?
Also yur secondlast line is confusing
For any triangle where you know two of the sides a and b and the angle between those 2 sides is A, then the area is ½ab sinA
for you second concern look at sin(θ + α) = 0
Where is the sine of an angle = 0?
at 0,180, 360....
but the angle was θ + α
1. θ + α could be 0, but that does not give us a quadrilateral
2. θ + α = 180º
3. θ + α = 360º this is also not possible, since the total of all 4 angles is 360
that leaves us with the inescapable conclusion that θ + α = 180º
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Challenge Help - Ok so, my birthday is coming up and im planning my party. The ...
- English - Writeacher, I urgently need your help to check a few things. 1) Which ...
- algebra homework - I am having some problem with solving a problem that the ...
- math - Jayden wants to be a fast runner like his big brother, Isaac. Isaac ...
- human relations - learning is generally considered a lasting change in behavior ...
- SCI/275 - CheckPoint #6: Water Resource Challenges Due Thursday *Post as an ...
- HCS 320 - Can any one help me on this? I have no clue what to do. Any help is ...
- Help with American History - How did Revolutionary ideology challenge the way ...
- English - Imagine you are one of the competitors in the Ten Tors Challenge. ...
- Elem. Ed. - Can you please help with this question? Home visits,where a teacher ...