Posted by Pola on Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 1:20pm.
I'm stuck with a sentence!Is "He had been living in London since he had left Cambridge " correct?
Thank you !
The correct sentence is:
He had been living in London since he left Cambridge.
Thank you very much Ms Sue!
Could you please explain why it is impossible to have"since he had left"?
The auxiliary verb "had" indicates a past time earlier than the other verb in the sentence. It won't make sense to have both of them with the auxiliary "had"!
It would have another meaning if you wrote this: He has been living in London since he had left Cambridge.
(He lived in Cambridge, then left and has lived in London ever since.)
Scroll down to Uses of Have, Has and Had
Okay, thank you Writeacher, it is starting to make sense...Would it be correc though to have "He had lived in London since he left Cambridge"? or maybe "He lived in London since he had left Cambridge" (He lived in Cambridge then moved to London) ... But then I know that "He lived" is wrong...
Still a bit blurry...
Thank you very much!
there -- past tense, means he lived there in the past, but that time is over and now he lives somewhere else.
He has lived
there -- present perfect tense, means that he lived there in the past and still does.
He had lived
there -- past perfect tense, means he lived there before he lived somewhere else.
In your latest example sentence -- "He lived in London since he had left Cambridge" -- you are saying he doesn't live in either London or Cambridge anymore! Is that what you mean?
Hello and thanks a lot for explaining all the differences between the tenses!
I am much grateful!
I just wanted to know if the sentence was correct but couldn't find the meaning on my own.
Thanks again !!!:)))
English - Shaniqua, Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 5:48am
Wait whats the question
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - Can someone check my work for me, please. 1.Yesterday he was very busy...
- English - Thank you very much. Can you please check these sentences for me? 1....
- English - Writeacher, can you please check if everything is OK? Thank you. 1) I'...
- English - WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE INCORRECTLY USES A COMMA? A.We had to ...
- English - Hello. I will really appreciate some help. 1)Is the preposition "in" ...
- English - Can you please see if everything is correct? Thank you. 1) She said ...
- English - Can someone check this for me please. Report these spoken remarks to a...
- English - Is this a good outline for now? for my book Down and Out in Paris and ...
- Language - I've been throwing rocks and things of birds since I was born and ...
- English - George Orwell was the Modernist mand that reveals how his life was in ...