Posted by Linda on Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 5:49pm.
Well I almost understand this question but still got stuck, I will show you the question and my answer so I need someone to tell me if I did it correctly or not and how I should fix it.
at 55degrees the K for the reaction: 2NO2(g)<=>N2O4 is 1.15
calc the concentration of N2O4 present in equilibrium with 0.50 mole of NO2
I first used the ICE chart then calculated
1.15 = x/(0.5-2x)^2
1.15 = x/(0.5)^2
1.15(0.25) = x
2(0.2875) - 0.575
Therefore N2O4 = 0.575M?
I don't agree that you can assume .5-2x is approximately .5. Your final answer shows that it is not.
1.15 = x/(0.5-2x)^2
.25 -2x +4x^2= .696x
put the terms together, and use the quadratic equation for x.
then would my answer look like this
0.25-2.696x + 4x^2 = 0
and I would also like to understand how did you get 0.696?
I don't know how I got .696 . It should have been 1/1.15=.869
Now that you have the quadratic,
0.25-2.896x + 4x^2 = 0
Use the quadratic equation
x= (2.896 +- sqrt (8.23-4) )/8
Now obviously, the first is impossible (why?), so the concentration the product is .104, and the concentration of the reactant is .5-.208
check my calc work
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Science/ Social Studies - I need help with those two subjects. Please tell us ...
- Algebra 1 - I'm completeing parts of my homework, and need help checking some of...
- Physics - 1. Question: Consider two planets with uniform mass distributions. The...
- Human Service - I am still trying to understand this question. I need to ...
- Microeconomics (margin Utility) need clarification - Someone was kind enough to ...
- Chem - I got one more question. I tried to figure out what should it be. But ...
- Math - Actually, i made a mistake. All though we still came up with the right ...
- Math - Properties of Logarithm - Can someone show how to this question. Loga(x+3...
- Algebra - What is the Solution to -54/x = -6? A. X = 9 B. X = -6 C. X = 6 D. X...
- chemistry - This question I really don't get it. I tried tried tried to figure ...