Posted by Sigrid on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 7:08pm.
i think this is it
x = 7 is not correct.
Here's how the problem should work out:
Use the distributive property to get rid of the parentheses and you will end up with this: 2x + 4 - 4x = 11 + 5x
Combining like terms: -2x + 4 = 11 + 5x
Now isolate x on one side of the equation. Let's subtract 5x from both sides (whatever operation you do to one side of an equation you must do to the other side as well).
-2x - 5x + 4 = 11 + 5x - 5x
Combining like terms: -7x + 4 = 11
Subtract 4 from both sides: -7x + 4 - 4 = 11 - 4
Combining like terms: -7x = 7
Finally, divide both sides by -7 to get x by itself and solve the equation:
-7x/-7 = 7/-7
Therefore, x = -1
How to check? Substitute -1 for x into the original equation. It always helps to check your work!
I hope this is clear and will help.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - I need some advice with this problem. Simplify as indicated. State at ...
- Simplifly variable Expressions - I need help on justify each step. 5(n+4)+9n=(5+...
- Distributive property - How would I multiply these expression? 6(h-4) -3(x+8) -...
- Distributive Property Algebra - I have two questions I don't understand and I ...
- geometry - use the distributive property to remove the parentheses from this ...
- Math - (1) Why is x+2 from 2x? (2)Use the distributive property to remove the ...
- Algebra - Can someone please help me with these algebra problems? The directions...
- math - use distributive property to remove parentheses and hen simplify 1/4(20+...
- Math - Name the property that justifies each step. [(2x100)+(3x10)]+[(1x100)+(...
- algebra mental math distributive property - find each product mentally using ...